Image Map Image Map
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Blog Entries

Windows 7 Install Update

I've been chasing my tail on and off all winter on getting W7 to install on the A7 and it's finally happened this afternoon. Not the way I envisioned, but none the less, it's up and running. All the time and resources that I put into SSD's and SATA I/SATA 3 more or less failed. What worked is as simple as could be; a 8 GB DoM plugged in to the mobo on the IDE 1 and W7 installed without a hitch. The major glitch seems to be the way this 2006 BIOS handles the SATA resources. SATA SSD's were very expensive back in 2006 and were somewhat limited to about 35 GB and were SATA I. We know that XP can use SATA/SSD with no problems as long as the SSD has backward compatibility to SATA I, and W7 has always stumbled on this motherboard due to driver and memory allocation problems. You still must pull the A2 memory module which downgrades to 2 GB for the install. One downside is that the DoM is only 8 GB, just enough to hold the OS. There are ways to default future program installations to the "D" drive and that's the way I want this to go.

The next task is to get the system activated and a browser up and running with some sort of virus protection. The W7 package that I am using is a Family 3-Pak Home Premium - 32/64 bit. It's probably going to take a good while to get the games up and running but in the mean time I'll dual boot it with XP. More later.

Stay safe.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Windows 7 Install Update

As mentioned above, W7 did install and is operational using the 8 GB DoM. There are two small problems that I encountered post installation: 1). The 8 GB DoM is not large enough to be fully functional. A check on the DoM resources shows only 4.2 MB of disk space left. 2). When attempting to install W7 with my Home Premium package I completely forgot that it was an upgrade set and therefore need to apply a simple batch file patch for the fix (will post source at a later date). 3). Ordered a 32 GB DoM and it should be here between now and the middle of June. 4). Have the registry hack which redirects all future program installs to the "D" HDD.

Stay safe.

I don't consider anything under 100 GB to be Windows 7 ready since the OS is so bloated. The official recommended minimum is 20 GB for just the OS, but I've found it to easily consume 50-60 GB once all of the updates are installed and the system is used for a bit. Shadow copy can consume a huge amount of disk space, and the crash reporting can consume a lot more. I had a problem once years ago where the crash reporter went into a failure loop and started taking constant full memory dumps (16 GB) and managed to completely fill the 100 GB partition I had for Windows 7, which took me days to find and rectify.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I don't consider anything under 100 GB to be Windows 7 ready since the OS is so bloated. The official recommended minimum is 20 GB for just the OS, but I've found it to easily consume 50-60 GB once all of the updates are installed and the system is used for a bit. Shadow copy can consume a huge amount of disk space, and the crash reporting can consume a lot more. I had a problem once years ago where the crash reporter went into a failure loop and started taking constant full memory dumps (16 GB) and managed to completely fill the 100 GB partition I had for Windows 7, which took me days to find and rectify.
    The plan is for the OS only to be installed on the 32 GB DoD 'C' drive. The rest will on SSD's, 'D', 'E', etc. Microsoft's specs call for a 16 GB minimum on a 32-bit system. True, Shadow Copy can consume a lot of disk space, but you first need to turn it on. I've never found a need for it. Maybe in the professional area but I don't see a need for it on a backed up home gamer.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; May 5th, 2020 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    True, Shadow Copy can consume a lot of disk space, but you first need to turn it on. I've never found a need for it.
    Volume Shadow Copy is enabled by default on most Windows versions since Vista. I think the default configuration is 20% of the primary storage partition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Volume Shadow Copy is enabled by default on most Windows versions since Vista. I think the default configuration is 20% of the primary storage partition.
    Just a quick search and I found this:

For a PC running Windows 7, the client is already installed and requires no installation. The shadow copy service (Volume Shadow Copy) must be set to Manual or Automatic for Shadow Copy to function. To check this,

• Type services.msc into Start / Search Programs and Files and press return.
    • Scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy and ensure it is set to Manual or Automatic as shown below

Blog Entries

Volume Shadow Copy

This is the default from my W10 laptop - I'm assuming W7 is the same.

VSC.JPG

Blog Entries

Windows 7 Install Update

The 32 GB DoM has arrived and is installed. I used a PATA CD-ROM for the W7 Home Premium 32-bit installation and thereby eliminating any possibility for SATA mishaps. For this install, I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse. Upon POST, the system booted the W7 install CD and commenced the install routine with no problems.

W7 drivers can be obtained here:

https://soggi.org/motherboards/asus/...eluxe.htm#driv

My copy of W7 is an 'Upgrade' version. I installed W7 using the 'Upgrade' option and for what ever reason, it went ahead and installed without all the guff about not be able to find a previously installed OS. The next step was to install the A7 drivers which went in without a hitch. A quick look at Device Manager showed all drivers were installed with the exception of one 'Unknown'. Checking that device's properties revealed that it was an ACPI driver that was nowhere to be found. I manually loaded the required driver by selecting the 'Search on line' option, and lo and behold, the driver downloaded from the Microsoft site. Also, I retrieved the W7-32 SP1 from the MS site and it installed without any issues.

For now the system is in a 'static' state with no software or games loaded. Hardware-wise, the SATA 3 PCIe adapter needs to go in as well as the 3rd stick of 1 GB memory which needed to be removed for the initial installation.

It should be noted that several W7 system modifications and updates need be done, such as the update killer and a few perpetual MS nags need to be silenced. I'll report back on those when they are accomplished.

So far so good and hopefully I'll be able to get a game or two on it this weekend. I guess the question is; 'what the heck took so long for all of this'? I supposed my answer now is that I should have went the DoM route long ago, but I'll still be using the SSD for the bulk of the software.

Blog Entries

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Update

The PC case's plastic parts has started to crumble. I bought the case a long time ago from the Dell online store and it's been a good one, but its time has come. I found one, a Corsair Carbide Series 200, at the MicroCenter for about $69, which was a little more than I wanted to pay but it won't break the bank. The case is all metal and nicely laid out. The A7 mobo installs without mods and there is built-in storage for the SSD's and 2.5" HDDs. No screws required to mount the peripherals as the hardware secures with sliding lock type tabs. The case's front panel USB cable is a one piece 10 pin female plug which requires an adapter cable that splits out to the A7's 2 onboard USB connectors. I found one on-line for about $6.

I'm having major problems with the HD 4650 1 GB AGP video card in W7. I'm seeing a BSOD caused by the ATIKMDAG.SYS driver. I have the hot fix driver but I can't seem to get it to work. My fix for now is to re-install the Nvidia 7600 GS 512 MB AGP which installs virtually automatically. Caveat: The fan on the card is broken, but I have a new one inbound. Without that little fan the card runs hot and I don't want to chance it running games. Should have it fixed this upcoming week. I'll try and post some photos of the rig next week or so.

Blog Entries

https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-...p-problem.html the last post shows the hotfix driver that works.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems