Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Blog Entries

The PNY GeForce GS 7600 AGP 8x 512MB video card arrived today. Came with the original box, packaging, and accessories including the install CD (won it on Ebay). Also, ordered an IDE to SATA adapter. Actually, it was a 3 piece deal (different mfgs) for $11.97 shipping included. Hopefully the new Barton chip and 3GB memory sticks will get here next week.

Just make sure that you're paranoid levels of careful when installing the heatsink. Socket 462 CPU dies are ridiculously easy to chip or crack, especially with the stock AMD heatsink that has a crazy strong leaf spring that you have to more or less lean into to clip it on. It was such a common occurrence that companies started selling shims to place on top of the CPU to make a level surface for the heatsink to mount on.

The spring tension also gives rise to another danger: punching a hole in the motherboard during heatsink installation. The clip that holds the end of the screwdriver can give way, or you can slip resulting in a flat blade plunging into the board.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Just make sure that you're paranoid levels of careful when installing the heatsink. Socket 462 CPU dies are ridiculously easy to chip or crack, especially with the stock AMD heatsink that has a crazy strong leaf spring that you have to more or less lean into to clip it on. It was such a common occurrence that companies started selling shims to place on top of the CPU to make a level surface for the heatsink to mount on.

The spring tension also gives rise to another danger: punching a hole in the motherboard during heatsink installation. The clip that holds the end of the screwdriver can give way, or you can slip resulting in a flat blade plunging into the board.
    Advice heeded.

Blog Entries

The new Sempron "Barton" 3300+ arrived this afternoon - all the way from China in 10 days. Hopefully, I'll be able to install it this weekend. The memory's not scheduled to be here until the 23rd. I'm going to try to setup XP on the Kingston 120 GB SSD using my big box, and make use of its external SATA and power plugin provisions. Kind of neat, no need to tear into that PC and having to wallow around in a bunch of wiring and cables.

Blog Entries

I use a discarded A7N266 here that's been set up with a AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ mobile. It runs quite happily at about 2.1 GHz after a couple of wire jumpers on the bottom of the CPU socket. That was about the limit of what I could do with a 15x clock multiplier. To be perfectly honest, I got it for the case and just kept the CPU board.

Blog Entries

The A7N8X-E motherboard was new back in 2005 and was part of a project for my nephew. He has since moved on to bigger and better things, so I reclaimed most of the parts. I set a budget of $100 for this project and I'm just about there. With the new chip, memory, GeForce 8x AGP video card, along with the SSD (hopefully it will fly), you could consider the setup maxed out. There are drivers available all that way up W8, and I do have a spare W7 license, so I would like to see how far I can take OS's on this old platform. Nice winter project.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; December 15th, 2015 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    There are drivers available all that way up W8, and I do have a spare W7 license, so I would like to see how far I can take OS's on this old platform. Nice winter project.
    The A7N8X-E Deluxe is an nForce 2-based board isn't it? Driver support for those only goes as far as Windows XP and Server 2003.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
    The A7N8X-E Deluxe is an nForce 2-based board isn't it? Driver support for those only goes as far as Windows XP and Server 2003.
    Not at all. Those drivers are around, you just have to sniff them out. You won't get any help from the Asus site, but there are a few 3rd party offerings.

I'm referring to the drivers on Nvidia's website.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
    I'm referring to the drivers on Nvidia's website.
    I understand. With a project like this you have to play detective. I have some of the W7/8 drivers. Once in a while a XP or Vista driver might work with W7. I not pushing the W7 thing, if it works out then okay, if not, It'll stay as XP. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.