Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: IBM/C128 CGA conversation, capture, and VGA display success stories

I just received the Monotech EternalCRT converter. Only took 11 days from New Zealand. I connected it to a Samsung T220 22" LCD monitor/TV with a VGA cable, then to the CGA output of the IBM 5150. Out of the box, it was poor, with a lot of flickering pixels in the characters. Adjusting the Phase control sharpened it up. Colors were ok, but haven't tested extensively. I actually got better character formation in Hercules mode instead of CGA, with higher pixel density. In CGA mode, it looked very similar to the IBM 5153 display, only a lot bigger.

Considering the prices for VGA cards on ebay, the $120 for this box is reasonable to me, as I can always switch to the 5153 display without pulling cards.

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Considering the prices for VGA cards on ebay, the $120 for this box is reasonable to me...
    I must have missed your point 'cause I just looked on eBay and found dozens of VGA cards that sold for $10 - $35.

Additionally, I have a few for sale around that same price range.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Guess I missed those.

If I had known you were looking I would have let you know what I have.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

So I have a working design for CGA to VGA. Currently it does linedoubling only but I am looking at making a full frame de-interlacing version.
    You get a pretty damn amazing picture if I do say so myself.
    Scandoubler-Text-Output.jpg
    Scandoubler-Test-Card.jpg

The slight issues you can see are due to the monitor sampling of the output NOT my sampling of the input I tried it on a CRT VGA monitor and it looked pixel perfect. The monitor used to display it make a great difference. If I manage to make a full frame deinterlacing version I might tweak the VGA output mode to be more compatible too.

It will cost less than all other solutions that end in VGA currently when finished and on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I must have missed your point 'cause I just looked on eBay and found dozens of VGA cards that sold for $10 - $35.

Additionally, I have a few for sale around that same price range.
    8 bit or 16 bit?

16-bit

Many 16-bit VGA cards will work fine in an 8-bit slot, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofer View Post
    So I have a working design for CGA to VGA. Currently it does linedoubling only but I am looking at making a full frame de-interlacing version.
    You get a pretty damn amazing picture if I do say so myself.
    Scandoubler-Text-Output.jpg
    Scandoubler-Test-Card.jpg

The slight issues you can see are due to the monitor sampling of the output NOT my sampling of the input I tried it on a CRT VGA monitor and it looked pixel perfect. The monitor used to display it make a great difference. If I manage to make a full frame deinterlacing version I might tweak the VGA output mode to be more compatible too.

It will cost less than all other solutions that end in VGA currently when finished and on sale.
    Can we please just have something that goes from one digital format (CGA/MDA/HGC/PCJR/TGA/EGA) to another digital format (DVI/HDMI)? Everything that converts to VGA goes to analog, which introduces quality loss and a second analog to digtal conversion which introduces more quality loss. VGA is little more than a crutch.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/