Image Map Image Map
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Build your own PDP 8I, Part 4..

Blog Entries

The summer Vintage shows are all over now and it's time to get back to cold-weather projects. I exhibited the LD-12 at VCF Midwest but unfortunately it didn't work as well as it did in California. Part of the Midwest show is an annual review of current PDP-8 projects and I gave a short update on the LD-12 - see the video of our "Family of Eight" panel here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sbgQrzcEpI ; the LD-12 segment starts at 32:00 but I encourage you to listen to the whole discussion for more cutting-edge 12-bit activity.

Meanwhile, I'm sure DaveR is hard at work, finishing up the Front Panel. We're all looking forward to hearing more from him Real Soon Now.

Hi Jack,

Unfortunately, DaveR is working on his day job, and has to try and find a problem with a 1980s card we are trying to manufacture. We have a glitch on some of the address lines that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately, during the course of debugging, we have ruled out everything as a possible cause ! Back to the drawing board. We must have missed something somewhere.

I agree though, cold weather = computer projects!

I did take one of the LD12 cards to Cambridge the other week. One guy did ask an interesting question that I wasn't able to answer though. The original PCB had sockets for an extra four RAM chips per word and (what appears to be) a spare 74181 socket. Was the LD12 ever made into a 16 bit machine at some point and (if so) what machine instruction set did it implement?

A good question I Thought!

Dave

Blog Entries

^ maybe ur picking noise up on a trace?
    Pegcity bits the home of praire bits and bytes a heritage lost yet not
    Heathkit h89 h77 h11 h10 with some extra bits
    Osborn 1 x2
    pdp8a with asr33 and documentation and software
    GE workmaster with series six PLC and ibm p70 (same as a ge workmaster 2)
    Commodore PC-10 II and other stuff

Nothing as simple as that I am afraid !

We had a brainstorming session and put together a plan this afternoon.

It is not generated on-board (we have disconnected all of the devices wired to the track and the glitch is still there).

It is not generated off-board (we have performed a transaction on another device with a similar - but not identical - address and no glitch is present).

The PCB track is only a couple of inches long from the backplane edge connector to the ICs and there should not be enough energy induced to see the 1.7 V glitches!

Removing the data bus buffers on the card causes the glitches to go away.

I am, therefore, looking for a direct or indirect link from the data bus to the address bus. I have measured resistances - but everything is in the MOhm range (unpowered).

We have also checked ground loops (between the oscilloscope/ logic analyser and test system) and a load of other things.

Highly confusing, but we must have missed something obvious!

Dave