Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly manufactured 5.25" floppy disks

Blog Entries

I don't believe that FloppyDisk or the newer Athana (they used to be a disk maker) actually manufactures anything. When they sell out of something, that's it, unless they discover new stock.

I think that's been true since almost all floppy disk production went overseas to the Far East.

I still have a few hundred NOS of various types, but they're reserved for desperate customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I don't believe that FloppyDisk or the newer Athana (they used to be a disk maker) actually manufactures anything. When they sell out of something, that's it, unless they discover new stock.

I think that's been true since almost all floppy disk production went overseas to the Far East.

I still have a few hundred NOS of various types, but they're reserved for desperate customers.
    Agreed. The topic was brought up about manufacturing new disks and there was a reply that there was 'no need, Athana currently manufacturers disks' and they pointed back to the Athana site as well as this thread. I was skeptical that this was still the case and followed up. Wanted to share on this post as well for archival sake. I know floppydisk.com only sells New Old Stock and Used Old stock, but without knowing the quality of the manufacturer and the year it was made, it's almost all the same now (especially in the case of 3 1/2 disks where my New old stock (office depot) has a much higher failure rate then my used old stock (3m, maxell, etc)).
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

Blog Entries

Back in the day I purchased 8" floppies, Athana did not rank very highly on my list. Dysan was my poison of choice.

Back in the day I purchased 8" floppies, Athana did not rank very highly on my list. Dysan was my poison of choice.
    Funny, I actually have a brand new shrinkwrapped box of Dysan 8" floppies that I picked up when i picked up my Model 4. I still have nothing that uses 8" drives, but I hold onto it just in case.

I remember having good luck with Elephant disks. Unfortunately i have a ton of 5 1/4 disks that I picked up with a c64 lot that was comprised of mostly cheap quality disks, so it's a hit and miss on whether or how long they work. I don't really use them on the c64 since the sd2iec works pretty well for that, but more often for the apple II and TRS-80 Model 4 since I don't currently have good non disk solutions for either (I'm working on an external gotek for the model 4, but it had some conflicts and so i had shelved that project at the time until i could research more).
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    This thread came up in a facebook discussion
    Somebody, post to this thread again in 2028 when nobody uses facebook anymore. :P

Blog Entries

I've been collecting sample for about 3 decades now, so I can observe which brands have made it through the years.

3M-branded 8", 5.25" and 3.5" have generally come though with flying colors. I have plenty of Elephant 5.25" paper holders, but no readable disks. Athana, Wabash, Brown, Georgia Magnetics etc. have not survived the test of time in 5.25". Sony 3.5" DSDD disks are still okay, but the 5.25" ones not so much. Verbatim and Control Data 5.25" a very mixed picture. Verbatim had two grades--"pink" and "purple" labels. The pink were pretty bad; the purple not so much.

If I pull a disk out from my archives for reading and I encounter an error, the disk is immediately copied to new media, so this is a good indicator of what lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Somebody, post to this thread again in 2028 when nobody uses facebook anymore. :P
    I'm still waiting for the day that the Internet dies and we all go back to BBS's. I think we both are in for dissapointment.

I've been collecting sample for about 3 decades now, so I can observe which brands have made it through the years.
    Awesome, thanks for the update on your experience. Even though I had many of those disks back in the day, what I have in my collection are mostly disks I had never even heard of (AB Dick, Centrum (or something like that), etc).. Oh, got a number of Tandy disks which are also a mixed bag but to be fair, those are likely the oldest... To be honest, I'm surprised as many of them still work as they do.. considering we were expecting all the 5 1/4 & 8" disks would be dead long ago. Ive had considerably less luck with Tape Backups and Video cassette tapes. I have tape backups from the early 90s I really want to see if I can restore and move to new media, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Anybody need any 8" diskettes?

3M-branded 8", 5.25" and 3.5" have generally come though with flying colors. I have plenty of Elephant 5.25" paper holders, but no readable disks. Athana, Wabash, Brown, Georgia Magnetics etc. have not survived the test of time in 5.25". Sony 3.5" DSDD disks are still okay, but the 5.25" ones not so much. Verbatim and Control Data 5.25" a very mixed picture. Verbatim had two grades--"pink" and "purple" labels. The pink were pretty bad; the purple not so much.

If I pull a disk out from my archives for reading and I encounter an error, the disk is immediately copied to new media, so this is a good indicator of what lasts.
    What do you think about Maxell? I still have some 5.25 readable disks.

Blog Entries

Are there any markings on the disc jacket that would say who made the floppies? I have stacks on new 5.25" DD disks (green jackets) that were bulk for duplication and was wondering who made them. They work fine.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems