Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly manufactured 5.25" floppy disks

Default Newly manufactured 5.25" floppy disks

Hi all... I've been doing some searching to find out if there are any companies left that still manufacture 5.25" floppy disks, and I found one! David Moorman of Loadstar gave me the name of the company, and I've done a bit of legwork with them to get pricing information (their website doesn't give many specifics), so I thought I'd share what I've found with all of you.

The name of the comany is ATHANA International, Inc.

Their address is:
    24045 Frampton Ave.
    Harbor City, CA 90710, U.S.A.

Phone: 800-421-1591 or 310-539-7280
    Fax: 310-539-6596

The disks I found that are ideal for Commodore use are part number 47-7501, which come in an ATHANA box, or part number 47-7501G, which come in a plain white box. These are 5.25 Inch Diskettes DD (Double Sided, Double Density), Unformatted, 48 TPI (Soft Sector). Minimum order is for 2 boxes; each box contains 10 disks. Cost for 2 - 5 boxes is $7.95 each, plus freight. Cost for 6 - 10 boxes is $7.75 each, plus freight. Bulk orders of 500 disks or more are $0.52 per disk. Cost of freight varies, but as an example, I was told that an order of 5 boxes shipped via UPS ground would have a freight charge of $5.25. For any further details, you can call them or e-mail info@athana.com.

Oh, and for any of you really old school folks... They also manufacture 8" floppy disks!

I hope this information is helpful for some of you...

-Andrew

Wow. I never new 5.25"s where still in production in any company.
    -A2f
    Apple II's Forever!!! -some guy.

Great work Andrew! Putting those guys on my favorites list for sure. I should be getting several 5.25 drives soon. Yep, think I'm going to need some diskettes to go with them.

Their website says min. order is $100. I hope that isn't true!!!
    Last edited by chuckcmagee; November 8th, 2006 at 06:08 PM.

Great! I always thought that somewhere out there, there'd still be a manufacturer of them! Now we don't have to feel guilty of busting open a sealed pack of floppies!

Now all we need is a company that stamps Laserdiscs!
    http://trs80hack.ytmnd.com/ YTMND: TRS-80 Hacking Secrets Revealed!!!

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, & those who don't.

http://mtac.profusehost.net/
    http://mtac.profusehost.net/forum/index.php

Blog Entries

Great! My luck with NewOldStock disks has been pretty sketchy. Seems they deteriorate with age, even unused, in factory shrinkwrapped boxes. (I stocked up on quite a few boxes when they began appearing on clearance racks for $.99 a few years back). Newly manufactured is really the way to go.

--T
    Last edited by Terry Yager; November 8th, 2006 at 07:36 PM.
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Blog Entries

Are you sure they are not some old stock sitting on the shelf or rebranded old stock from somebody else? I can't see anybody firing up a production line for making those economicaly especially in CA.

The best place to find those disks are from a duplicator that has yet to dump his old stock.

All their web pages are dated 1997. Does make one wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcmagee View Post
    Their website says min. order is $100. I hope that isn't true!!!
    Yes, I saw that, too. But the guy I was in contact with (his name is Wolf Arnold) says that the minimum order is 2 boxes.

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Are you sure they are not some old stock sitting on the shelf or rebranded old stock from somebody else? I can't see anybody firing up a production line for making those economicaly especially in CA.

The best place to find those disks are from a duplicator that has yet to dump his old stock.
    I haven't placed an order with them yet, so I can't be 100% sure. But from what I gather, they do in fact still produce a full line of floppy disks, including 3.5", 5.25", and 8" disks in a variety of densities. I believe they are the company that supplies the U.S. government with their floppy disk needs, which would explain why they're still in business. I just so happen to be active duty navy (in for over 13 years now), and I know first hand that the military still uses a lot of old equipment, even if they'd like you to believe that they're totally "high tech".

Chuck, as for the web site pages being dated 1997... That's probably just because there hasn't been any new technology in the floppy disk business in a while... so no real need to update... But hey, I don't work for them or anything, I'm just passing on the information that I gathered, hoping to save some other people the trouble. Harbor City is about an hour and a half drive from where I live... so maybe I'll just have to drive over there one of these days and see just how "legit" they really are. Besides, I could save myself the freight charge!

-Andrew

Nope, Andrew, you are right. There just hasn't been any need to update their website. They do look legit to me already even with the 1997 web pages.

LOL, you are sure right about the armed services. I screwed up, I should have learned more IBM 360/370 stuff when I was younger. I could have made tons of money doing COBOL and CICS projects for the government. I got stuck on the little mini computers, no money there! (like IBM 1130).