Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Newly manufactured 5.25" floppy disks

Blog Entries

Wasn't Daisy the odd man out in early CAD workstations, in that they used the 286 architecture, as opposed to the 68K one that the competition was using? I never did understand that move.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Hartman View Post
    I have a file that you can print on a printer that you can use to make floppy disk sleeves with...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nktdd8wrbi...cover.pdf?dl=0
    Last time I downloaded one of these and printed, it printed out the wrong size (was off about a half inch). I probably needed to do some tweaking but never followed up on it. I'll give this one a try, Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Get a pack of tyvek paper and you're all set.
    Haha, not for $15 for 20 sheets or $20 for 50 sheets... that might be more than i paid for my disks.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; September 17th, 2018 at 12:09 PM.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

Daisy was odd. Yes, it was 286 based. Daisy and Valid made their own hardware. Mentor was using Apollo. The Valid SCALD station was a real clunker. It was a 19" rack about 4 feet tall with a digitizing station next to it. They used a magnetic puck and cleverly hollowed out the underside of the table to put the tablet underneath. I think the cards were S100. The Daisy Logician was basically self contained, with the works under the monitor and a smaller digitizing table attached. The Apollo DN420 was a washtub. Their early keyboards had a touchpad attached that would "bubble" up with wear. Run the disk test on an Apollo, and it would literally go into "washing machine" mode rocking back and forth. Gotta love 14" disk drives. The company I was at paid Daisy $15K for one disk drive at one point. Argh! Apollo used 8" floppies, Daisy used the 5.25 floppies, and the Valid had a 1/2" tape drive in the rack.

Blog Entries

I think I had a couple of Daisy monitors at one time. Mitsubishi 19" color, great heavy hulking things with a keylock tray below the screen. I drove it with a modified VGA card and my own sync adapter--I think they were SOG. Nice thing, but it caused my desk to develop a bow. in the middle. I suspect the thing weighed 70 lbs--and I had two of them. I got them from Haltek in Mountain View as surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    arrgh! I've been trying to find Daisy software for decades

what do you still have?
    I found them! It looks I may have the entire V6.1 release of Daisy Systems tools for the 286 Logician from 1988. They're all still in unopened shrink wrap. I have Dnix Install, Design Entry Base, Digital Design Base, Digital Analysis Base, plus several add-ons for those. There are also some labeled EGA which may be support for EGA graphics. All told, there are almost 40 floppies. I do not know if they are readable on any other system. They have been in an attic for almost 30 years...

Edit: it looks like the Daisy floppies I already reformatted were older, 1986, 1987. That V6.1 release may never have been installed, or it was a duplicate set.

At work, I had tons of the 8" DSDD floppies Apollo used, but I never kept any, as they were not compatible with my OSI computer which used low density 8" floppies.
    Last edited by mediasponge; September 17th, 2018 at 10:17 PM.