Image Map Image Map

Thread: 8255 problem: can't communicate

Default 8255 problem: can't communicate

Hey, so I'm in a bit of trouble with a small 8052-BASIC single board computer. It has two 8255's for I/O, and I simply can't talk to them.
    I've reverse engineered the chip select circuitry, and it all looks rather standard, and I made a small program to continuously writing to the chip, to verify I addressed it correctly. I am.

So: The 8255 receive the correct /CS signal, /WR and /RD too, as far as i can tell.
    When I read the mode register after system reset or boot, I get FF (not inconceivable for an uninitiated register, although I think the 8255 should default to mode 9B).
    If i try and write another word to the mode register, it returns 00 when I try and read it again. Regardless of what I wrote.

So what's going on? Is it a dead chip? I mean, it's an IO device on an educational board, so It could be blown, only both 8255's act identically, so they should both be, then.
    Or am I messing up in my code? I'm writing to it from 8052-BASIC, btw.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

--Christoffer

Current systems: PDP11/23, ZX-spectrum, MEK-6802D5, Ampex 210 CRT terminal, ZX-spectrum
    Current projects: 8085 Altair 8800 compatible
    Looking for: DEC RX-50 drive, QBUS ROM card, intel 8288

Blog Entries

The mode register of the 8255 is write-only. The datasheet calls out that reading it is, according to the truth table, an illegal operation. You have to remember that the 8255 goes waaaay back--about as far back as the 8080.

Great, missed that, thanks! So it might get written properly, but even then, I still don't get any output from the chip, when I set it up as output and write FF to a port.

--Christoffer

Current systems: PDP11/23, ZX-spectrum, MEK-6802D5, Ampex 210 CRT terminal, ZX-spectrum

Blog Entries

The 8255 is a very simple chip, so I'd check your signals. A logic analyzer will certainly help.

If you're not working from the datasheet, here's a copy
    Here's a bit more about programming it
    Last edited by Chuck(G); January 14th, 2016 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks for the hints, solved it! It was some strange timing phenonemon.
    When I just wrote to the chip from BASIC, it didn't get it.
    When I wrote that identical line as a program (added 10 infront of it) it worked!

Maybe it excecutes programs in RAM a bit faster than it does commands?

--C

Blog Entries

I don't know, but it's entirely possible that the interactive version also reads the port before/after writing to it, which, in some cases can really foul things up.

Are you using the XBY() special function operator to read and write to the memory addresses decoded for the 8255?

I took a quick look at the source code for Intel BASIC-52 and it's not immediately obvious to me how the XBY() special function operator actually works.

I think it would have to be using MOVX A,@DPTR and MOVX @DPTR,A instructions to read from and write to external data memory. I don't follow how that might be happening for the implementation of the XBY() special function operator.

I should try building up a simple BASIC-52 system sometime and try to observe how some of this stuff actually works.

Yes, I was indeed using XBY().
    I don't have the source code at hand, so I wouldn't really know. But if it isn't just my configuration that has this issue, it's definately a quirk in the 8052-basic one needs to remember.
    Wasn't there ever a version 2 basic?

--Christoffer

The source code that I looked at is available here, which is supposed to be MCS-51 - 8K BASIC VERSION 1.1
    http://pic-club.webcindario.com/basic_8051/bas52all.zip

I don't know if that is the same place that I originally found it but it matches the source that I have and was supposed to have been verified against the binary extracted from a known good factory masked 8052-BASIC