Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A flake to avoid on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by SGTSQUID View Post
    ...If you find that you don't want to wait it is perfectly reasonable for you to make a claim to eBay and relist the item. I accept all responsibility for this and it is your right to not have to wait for me.
    If he had just said "I've got to put money into PayPal, Please give me a day or 2" I'd believe him. It looks like he's hoping you will relist. I do wish people would just say they don't want the item. The eBay process can take ages for non paying bidders.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

A secure undisclosed location in the Mojave Desert, CA

I wouldn't have been as upset if he had just been honest. I once had a guy bid a generic 386 I was selling up to nearly $600, and then immediately sent me a message saying that he got carried away and did not have that kind of money. His feedback count was 4 or 5, and he was new to ebay. Since he was honest with me and helped get the deal cancelled so I could sell it on a second chance offer right away, you won't see his name here. He admitted he goofed and took responsibility. This kid I'm dealing with now has no sense of responsibility and can not be trusted.

he may still be trying to scrape together the money (college student, probably new to managing their own money) and is embarrassed to contact you again until he has. eBay does go out of its way to inform buyers that bids are binding contracts and cannot be backed out of, so this kid may not realize that adults can choose to make their own rules regardless of what eBay says.

or maybe he's a flake. it's often hard to know.

I never have patience for people that do not pay right away. No matter what their story may or may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    he may still be trying to scrape together the money (college student, probably new to managing their own money) and is embarrassed to contact you again until he has. eBay does go out of its way to inform buyers that bids are binding contracts and cannot be backed out of, so this kid may not realize that adults can choose to make their own rules regardless of what eBay says.

or maybe he's a flake. it's often hard to know.
    No, he said he was going to deposit the money the next morning. Either way he's a liar.

Blog Entries

Ebay sellers should have received a notice of a change in policy by now. Essentially, eBay will collect a fee on any item that's listed on their site and is offered for sale on other sites, even if the item doesn't sell.

That ought to raise some hackles. I wonder what the folks who sell through both Amazon and eBay will do? I'll confess to finding something on eBay that I want and then checking Amazon for the same thing at a better price, offered by the same seller. It happens often.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Ebay sellers should have received a notice of a change in policy by now. Essentially, eBay will collect a fee on any item that's listed on their site and is offered for sale on other sites, even if the item doesn't sell.

That ought to raise some hackles. I wonder what the folks who sell through both Amazon and eBay will do? I'll confess to finding something on eBay that I want and then checking Amazon for the same thing at a better price, offered by the same seller. It happens often.
    I read the new policy, and that only applies to items where the deal was mad through ebay and the actual sale happens off of ebay to avoid fees. For example, you get a an offer for an item, accept by message without actually "accepting" the offer, make the deal off of ebay and then cancel the order to avoid fees. The new policy specifically allows items to be offered elsewhere and auctions to be ended early to sell in another venue. They have too many sellers using them and Amazon to risk a mass exodus. They also filter all messages, so I assume that is what they would use to catch people.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Just finished an agonizing transaction with maxxdoo.

Auction finished on 23 Oct and paid a day later.

Waited a week, nothing.

One more week. Still nothing. Sent email asking for shipping info. No response.

2 days later. Sent another email requesting shipping info. Nada. Sent another email via Outlook requesting date/time read. Nothing!

Couple of more emails just to see if he was having a bad couple of weeks. ZIP!

Finally started a transaction dispute and got paypal involved. User finally went to the post office and mailed item on 7 Nov. Received 9 Nov.

Left neutral response because the item was good, but his handling of the transaction was pitiful.

Received retaliatory negative feedback from this guy! WTF??????????????

So, if you can, avoid this guy like the plague!!!

Curtis

p.s. Hey Erik, maybe we should have a forum for deadbeat ebay'ers since this is becoming the primary method for collectors to obtain stuff! Hopefully, I won't be in it...
    this user doesn't even exist. also this was over a decade ago...