Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interpreting TRSDOS 2.0 images from a Model II

I've attempted to do some of the Xenix format before, and have successfully unTARed some Xenix backup images. There's still some wading in to do there; I can see I need to look at Xenix again very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronBrockbank View Post
    Hello, All.

I think if you go to https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...Software/Tools you might find a helpful tool that I've got Peter to upload for me. This is a little something that has taken me 4 years to get to this stage, and contains about 225k lines of code. There are two files, M2FILE and Diskmanip.
    First, thanks much for making these available in this manner. These utilities are in my opinion best-in-class for TRS-80 formats, and I thank you.

Diskmanip is a win32 windows executable ...

M2FILE is a win32 console application ...
    What would be the chances of a Mac or Linux port for those of us who might not use Windows? Have you tested under Wine? I'm a Linux user myself, but I'm willing to take a whirl at running these under Wine (or trying to port to Linux, for that matter, if you aren't averse to sharing source to do so). I just have to get Wine configured for the job.....
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    What would be the chances of a Mac or Linux port for those of us who might not use Windows? Have you tested under Wine? I'm a Linux user myself, but I'm willing to take a whirl at running these under Wine (or trying to port to Linux, for that matter, if you aren't averse to sharing source to do so). I just have to get Wine configured for the job.....
    For Mac users, I've run both of these tools successfully in Windows 7 using Fusion on my Mac.

I've attempted to do some of the Xenix format before, and have successfully unTARed some Xenix backup images. There's still some wading in to do there; I can see I need to look at Xenix again very soon.
    I forgot the most important thing:
    Hi Aaron. Great to hear from you.

Kelly

I think if you go to https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...Software/Tools you might find a helpful tool that I've got Peter to upload for me.
    Wow, couldn't ask for more. Well, maybe source code.

I'm not sure 225k lines of PowerBASIC source code would work on a Mac!
    Last edited by AaronBrockbank; January 30th, 2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: grammar (again) :)

Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    I forgot the most important thing:
    Hi Aaron. Great to hear from you.

Kelly
    And great to see that you're still around, Kelly.

I'm not sure 225k lines of PowerBASIC source code would work on a Mac!
    I haven't tried it, but maybe this would work under DOSbox.

PowerBASIC 3.5 under DOSbox wouldn't really work, as both PowerBASIC compilers used to make the two versions (console v6 and windows v10) won't function under DOSbox. Backporting it to PowerBASIC 3.5 would involve a complete rewrite, eliminating all windows SDK access in the process. I have no wish to reinvent wheels that have taken me four years to get this far.

Please don't look down on PowerBASIC as a lowly BASIC, it can be made to do almost anything that C could do, except maybe kernel mode drivers.

Would they run under Wine, then?