Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interpreting TRSDOS 2.0 images from a Model II

I can run nearly all my PowerBASIC 3.5 and older software and the compiler itself on vDos.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/
    It is doable to convert PowerBASIC 3.5 software to the console versions of PowerBASIC PBCC1 up to PBCC6.
    These compiled programs can be recompiled with the GUI compilers PbWINx (not easy, but can be done)

If Aaron or anyone else wants to share their source code for their projects, I'm sure they will. If they don't, then that's completely fine and understandable too. Thanks for sharing the tools with the community Aaron.

Just to report back - M2File worked a treat. It did exactly what I was looking for. I do wish I could redirect output (neither > nor 2> convinced the output to go somewhere besides the screen) but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronBrockbank View Post
    I'm not sure 225k lines of PowerBASIC source code would work on a Mac!
    Or on Linux, for that matter....

I'll echo what Pete has said; thanks for the tools. I do have a VM of Windows 7 in KVM on my CentOS 7 box, but that does add a step..... so time to see which Wine is best. For what it's worth, CodeWeavers offers a commercially supported version of Wine for both Mac and Linux, for a fee, and I have used it before with good success for some software (in particular Lotus SmartSuite, until the LibreOffice import of Lotus WordPro files got good enough to be able to read most things).

And there is nothing wrong with using BASIC for this; PowerBASIC, from the wikipedia article at least, looks like a nice environment, even though I have never used it. I thank you for your efforts on these tools. Yes, my preferences lie towards open source, but that is up to each author to decide on their own; thanks for just making the tools available. PowerBASIC seems quite nice also in that there is no runtime dll required, but it generates a nice standalone executable.

The primary reason I would want to see your code is to see especially how TRSDOS-II 4.x did its filesystem, and to have that information publicly available for future enthusiasts. The documentation on all the formats in one place would likely be worth more to people than any specific source code, but I'm not volunteering anyone to do that (unless I were to volunteer myself, but I have insufficient material to do that myself), and in your case I just really appreciate the tools being available to all.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

There's a few new things in the latest M2File and Diskmanip v1.0.15.252. The Directory is now included in the .log file with M2File, for example. Lots of code cleanup, and EOF is being correctly deduced now. Download instructions are on page 1 of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronBrockbank View Post
    There's a few new things in the latest M2File and Diskmanip v1.0.15.252. ...

Aaron, thanks for the update!
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"