Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM 3420 Magnetic tape drive for Christmas

Talking IBM 3420 Magnetic tape drive for Christmas

Oh how I wish I had a 3420 Magnetic tape drive under the tree for Christmas!!!
    http://computer-refuge.org/compcollect/ibm/3420/
    -A2f
    Apple II's Forever!!! -some guy.

At the place I worked at in 1975, I wrote the IBM1130 assembly code to drive a tape drive. We used that code to do disk backups for years. I loved watching the tape go up and down the vacuum colums (those tall thin jobs that go up and down). The tape gets sucked into those columns and light sensors control the tape reels to get the tape between 2 limits (top of column and close to the bottom).

I hated it when it would start going back and forth. I knew that it was doing read retries and I would soon get a tape read error. That would mean going to the back room and getting out 5 more trays of cards to reprocess (monthly backups).

At the place I worked at in 1975, I wrote the IBM1130 assembly code to drive a tape drive. We used that code to do disk backups for years. I loved watching the tape go up and down the vacuum colums (those tall thin jobs that go up and down). The tape gets sucked into those columns and light sensors control the tape reels to get the tape between 2 limits (top of column and close to the bottom).
    I wish I could have been there to see that. Reel vintage stuff like that Is cool to see how It operates. My grandad made the tape drive cases and other thing's like that. He collected them, but one year, his friends convinced him to throw them out.
    But out of all the Tape drives, my favorite Is the 3420.
    -A2f

Quote Originally Posted by apple2fan View Post
    But out of all the Tape drives, my favorite Is the 3420.
    I like the old tape drives and card readers as well, but like most people, I don't have the space. I settled for a IBM 9348-012 tape drive, desk top size:

http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/IBM9348.html

It does 1600/6250bpi, has a SCSI interface, and uses a small vacuum system to pull the tape leader around to the take up reel. It's basically the same unit as the HP 7980s I worked on in the late '80s. I also have a Documation M-1000L card reader with a USB interface I built:

http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Documation/

I also worked on HP 7970 drives, which used servo tension arms to control tape tension, and Kennedy 9100 drives which had a short vacuum column.

IBM 9348 tape drives are pretty cool, but I can't afford things like that. There is always someone else who is willing to pay more money for them than me, so I can never seem to get one.
    Just wondering, but where did you get yours? Thanks.
    -A2f

Quote Originally Posted by apple2fan View Post
    IBM 9348 tape drives are pretty cool, but I can't afford things like that. There is always someone else who is willing to pay more money for them than me, so I can never seem to get one.
    Just wondering, but where did you get yours? Thanks.
    Last year, on Ebay, for $24 and $75 shipping. It's a heavy sucker. They also show up as HP 7980 or HP 88780. If you drop a note on the Classic Computers mailing list, you may occasionally find one for the cost of shipping. Make sure to get one with the SCSI interface, for easy connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by mloewen View Post
    Last year, on Ebay, for $24 and $75 shipping. It's a heavy sucker. They also show up as HP 7980 or HP 88780. If you drop a note on the Classic Computers mailing list, you may occasionally find one for the cost of shipping. Make sure to get one with the SCSI interface, for easy connectivity.
    Maybe I'm thinking of something else, because I thought they went for a couple hundred! I'll try to get one, that's for sure.
    -A2f

Default kennedy 9401 tape drive

I have a kennedy 9401 1/2 inch mag tape drive in a 19 inch rackmount and a fujitsu m2444 1/2 inch mag tape drive they both weigh about 300 lbs each. (pertec interface) i dont know how much it would cost to upgrade the boards to scsi. i also have a cypher f880. i have a pertec card and software to write to the drives, with pertec you can daisy chain the drives together off of one card.

the kennedy looks something like this
    http://www.computer-history.info/Pag...eDrive.big.jpg
    the cipher f880 looks like this
    http://www.electrovalueinc.com/9_track_drives.htm

the software and pertec card cost me 500 bucks 15 years ago. i know ill never get that if i decide to sell them. oh i also have a exb-120 cms 8mm dat library with no drives installed. i called a company that sells parts for them. it will cost 700 bucks just for the tape magazines ( so it can hold 116 tapes ) and the tape drive mounts. i have 2 exb 8mm dat drive that will bolt up into the exb-120. the exb-120 will hold 4 drives and can use either differential scsi or scsi. the exb-120 cost 90,000 new. whoa !!1

Ill keep you posted when im ready to sell them.
    Last edited by Terry Yager; November 22nd, 2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: late at night, rambling little off topic, forgot a url

I thought all Kennedy's came standard with SCSI cards. Or do they have to be self in-stalled?
    -A2f

Quote Originally Posted by blubeard11 View Post
    the kennedy looks something like this
    http://www.computer-history.info/Pag...eDrive.big.jpg
    Thanks for the link: that's the same Kennedy 9100 that we used on the Air Defense computer system back in the '80s.