Image Map Image Map

Thread: 8" and 5.25" Floppy Drive Sales, And Repair

Default 8" and 5.25" Floppy Drive Sales, And Repair

I've been involved in the repair and sales of 8" and 5.25" floppy drives since the 1970s.

Contact me if you're having trouble, and I be happy to provide free advice.

If your drive/s need need repair, I'll be happy to repair and align them (for a fee).

And if you need drives, I usually have some in stock, ready for delivery.

2. Default

Some people have inquired as to what brands and sizes of floppy drives I can work on, and stick parts for.

I specialize in 8" floppy drives, but also work extensively on 5.25" mini-floppy disk drives. I can work on any 8" or 5.25" drive that uses the standard 50 conductor (8") or 34 conductor (5.25" drive connectors. The equipment that I use to control the drives while testing and repairing works on the standard interfaces, so I'm sorry but I can't work on drives that use non-standard interfaces like early (Apple II) drives. I do not have the alignment disks or circuit diagrams to work on 3.5" drives either.

My drives of choice are Shugarts, but I also have worked on all the other major brands drives like Mitsubishi: Qume, Tandon, Siemens, NEC, Panasonic, Wang, Pertec, MFE, JVC, and Teac. I have the Factory Service Manuals for these other brands because having the circuit diagrams is necssary to pick out the test points, and to trouble-shoot logic board problems.

3. Default

If you are looking for 8" floppy drive parts, I have Shugart (SA800, SA801, SA850, SA851, SA810, SA860), Mitsubishi (M2896-63), and Qume (DT8, DT842, DT242) drives that I am parting out.

I have working Shugart (SA800, SA801, SA850, SA851) AND Mitsubishi M2896-63) 8" drives in stock for sale that have been aligned and tested that include a 6-Month Warranty.

I can test, repair, and align your 8" floppy drive/s if you need it/them serviced.

Michael

Blog Entries

Might be a good idea to put a location in your profile. This helps people get a sense of the shipping cost to get the drives to and from you. Does not have to be your exact address, just the state would suffice.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Hello Michael,

Since you raise the issue....

I have the disk drive unit (only) from an old IBM DisplayWriter system. This contains two 8" drives. I believe one is a lower density drive, and the other is the higher type.

The unit is clean, and inside all looks clean, not even THAT dusty. I have manuals for the unit, incl Circuit diags and troubleshooting.

This does NOT use the standard connectors mind you, it's a plug/socket like the standard serial connector, but longer.

What might be my chances of ever getting such drives working, say with a CP/M machine? Might a PC be a better bet?

I have some 8" disks, but I don't have a boot disk.

Geoff

Sorry about the delay in answering your question, but you are not going to like the answer. The odds of getting those special IBM drives to work as normal/standard 8" drives is slim to none. they don't have any value to someone that uses standard drives. IBM did not even continue with the special drives. Eventually they went to standard drives.

You best bet is to find someone who is using an IBM machine like the one that the drives came from and unload them on that person.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB17 View Post
    Hello Michael,

Since you raise the issue....

I have the disk drive unit (only) from an old IBM DisplayWriter system. This contains two 8" drives. I believe one is a lower density drive, and the other is the higher type.

The unit is clean, and inside all looks clean, not even THAT dusty. I have manuals for the unit, incl Circuit diags and troubleshooting.

This does NOT use the standard connectors mind you, it's a plug/socket like the standard serial connector, but longer.

What might be my chances of ever getting such drives working, say with a CP/M machine? Might a PC be a better bet?

I have some 8" disks, but I don't have a boot disk.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Might be a good idea to put a location in your profile. This helps people get a sense of the shipping cost to get the drives to and from you. Does not have to be your exact address, just the state would suffice.
    Déjà vu...
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Is there anyone out there that can repair 8" Flexible Disk Drives from Magnetic Peripherals? The "Equip. Ident. N." is BR8A8-A and the "Part Number" is 77618023 (but I think this can vary).