Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRS-80 Trash Talk Podcast

Default TRS-80 Trash Talk Podcast

After a lot of effort, I'm happy to announce the first episode of a new TRS-80 podcast called "TRS-80 Trash Talk"

http://www.trs80trashtalk.com

For the first episode I'm joined by Randy Kindig, a TRS-80 enthusiast and host of the popular Floppy Days podcast, and fellow VCF member, @TRS-Ian aka Ian Mavric. In the first show we cover the history of the Models I/III/4 as a grounding in the TRS-80 for all listeners, including experienced TRS-80 hackers and those of you new to the TRS-80 community.

Going forward, we plan on presenting and discussing all topics related to the TRS-80 microcomputers including the Models I/II/III/4/12/16/6000. We'll present TRS-80 related news, in-depth computer reviews, accessories, software, programming, buying guides, etc. It's a community driven show so please let us know about topics you'd like us to cover.

Now, this is my first attempt at producing a show so it's not perfect. I have a lot to learn about the podcast medium so hopefully each show will get better, especially with your input.

Cool! Subscribed, and I should get around to listening to the first episode within the next few days.

Blog Entries

Is there a download link for this? I tend not to listen to podcasts at the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    is there a download link for this? I tend not to listen to podcasts at the computer.
    dido

Sorry, here's the direct podcast link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...k/id1084834575

I just realized that the podcast links don't show up on the mobile version of the website. I'll fix that.

I enjoyed listening to the podcast, thanks!

T-Bug and Debug were mentioned in the show. Both were Z-80 debuggers on cassette, T-Bug was the earlier version for the Model I and less capable (it could not single-step Z-80 code), but was better suited for 4K machines.

I was a little surprised to at the suggestion that debuggers aren't useful. I'll admit that loading them off cassette doesn't help matters and without any hardware support the really useful features aren't available, namely interrupting a program while it runs and protecting memory so bugs don't crash the machine. But if your program is complex enough it can be a lot easier to step through code to find the cause of a bug. Or inspect/change memory to see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gp2000 View Post
    I enjoyed listening to the podcast, thanks!

T-Bug and Debug were mentioned in the show. Both were Z-80 debuggers on cassette, T-Bug was the earlier version for the Model I and less capable (it could not single-step Z-80 code), but was better suited for 4K machines.

I was a little surprised to at the suggestion that debuggers aren't useful. I'll admit that loading them off cassette doesn't help matters and without any hardware support the really useful features aren't available, namely interrupting a program while it runs and protecting memory so bugs don't crash the machine. But if your program is complex enough it can be a lot easier to step through code to find the cause of a bug. Or inspect/change memory to see what's going on.
    Thanks for listening and providing the updated info on T-Bug and Debug. Even though I have personally not yet found the value in using them, I'm sure many others have. I spend a lot of time tweaking and running the code through my head before assembling for the first time. Perhaps as I continue developing more complex applications I too will come around to appreciating their purpose.

Episode 2 of TRS-80 Trash Talk is now available! In this episode, we elaborate on a few items from episode 1, cover a bunch of news items and for the main feature, Peter Bartlett talks in-depth about voice synthesizer options on the TRS-80, including actual demos!

http://www.trs80trashtalk.com

Wonderful...listening to episode 1 now. Thanks for doing this Pete!

Cary

Looking forward to it Pete. Something for the drive to work I think.

Cheers,

Andy.