Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 3B2 Emulator - Still working on it!

Default AT&T 3B2 Emulator - Still working on it!

Hi folks,

Just a general update, I'm still working on my AT&T 3B2 emulator based on the SIMH platform. It lay dormant for almost a year while I was dealing with life matters, but I've recently dived back in with a vengeance.

I'm still desperately seeking any documentation or schematics that anyone might have related to the 3B2. I've scoured the Internet pretty well, so anything that's online I probably already have. I'm hoping that my pleading for docs will eventually uncover some printed documents that aren't yet online. I'm ESPECIALLY interested in the documents "AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Computer Driver Design Guide" and "AT&T 3B2 Computer Feature Card Interface Design Manual", neither of which appear to be online anywhere. If you have either of them, let's talk -- I just want to scan them, not keep them.

For reference, I'm keeping notes about 3B2 internals here: http://www.loomcom.com/3b2/

Best Wishes,

-Twylo
    Seth Morabito
    Commodore and DEC Enthusiast
    Poulsbo, WA, USA

Nice! Could you rebase your source tree to head of SIMH? I hope to restart my work on dmd5620 sim soon, too.

Well, I very badly screwed up my rebase. I'm not surprised, given I was about 14 months out of sync with upstream. The real problem is that I tried to use the GitHub desktop client for the first time, and ended up pushing a terrible state to my repository. Rather than try to undo that mess, I basically restarted from scratch by forking simh/simh again, dropping my 3B2 directory into it, and starting a new fork.

Shattered, that means if you were based off of my fork, you'll have to do some manual work to sync up your changes to the new repository. I'm so sorry about that

The good news is that no work has been lost.

From now on, I will keep my fork in sync with upstream to prevent any rebasing problems in the future.

-Twylo
    Seth Morabito
    Poulsbo, WA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Twylo View Post
    Shattered, that means if you were based off of my fork, you'll have to do some manual work to sync up your changes to the new repository. I'm so sorry about that

-Twylo
    No big deal -- I've synced my changes.

By the way -- commits from the old fork are still there: https://github.com/sethm/simh/commit...ed239a9021da5c etc.
    Last edited by shattered; February 25th, 2016 at 10:39 PM.

Just a quick note to say that I'm getting really, really close to booting UNIX in the emulator. I've implemented just enough of the MMU to support virtual space for the kernel. It's dying during boot because the free page table is corrupted somehow, but I'm working actively on it.

We're getting there!

3b2_booting.jpg
    Seth Morabito
    Poulsbo, WA, USA

Good on you! Watching with interest!

Somehow, the idea of being able to use an emulated 3B2 from a simulated BLIT terminal makes very happy. I'll be watching this space with interest.

5620 actually is not the original BLIT, but if anyone can share ROM images for the BLIT and a technical manual, it should be much easier to emulate -- since it uses m68k, not we32k cpu.

Still more progress, but it feels like one step forward, two steps back. Floppy commands are timing out, and I'm not entirely sure why. Sure wish I had better documentation!

3b2_20160319.jpg
    Seth Morabito
    Poulsbo, WA, USA

That trap looks a lot like the error I got on my old /300 (with the WE32000) when I had the wrong ROMs (for the newer WE32100-based /310 and /400) in it. The standalone utilities disk would work and I was able to format a new drive with the machine in that state, but I couldn't boot any version of UNIX until I got the correct ROMs installed.

...wish I'd saved the console log from those sessions so I could say for sure that was the trap I got.