Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: XTIDE and Windows 95 issues

I'll test that out. My Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus has 2 IDE channels (thankfully), unlike the first 486 I had from 1994-2012, which only had 1 IDE channel. I also have a sound card that has an ATAPI IDE controller on there as well (for the CD-ROM), but, I have that disabled completely (non-PnP and jumpers everywhere) since I have no idea if there'll be conflicts left and right, or, if it shows as a tertiary channel (probably conflicts).

Quote Originally Posted by aitotat View Post
    No need to do anything special. Secondary channel simply uses different ports and IRQ but is otherwise identical to primary channel (at least usually. It is possible to have primary at vlb card and secondary at isa card, for example). XUB is configured to scan primary and secondary channels by default so nothing needs to be configured and Windows didn't seem to mind changing the drive from primary to secondary (i tested with PCem).
    There's just one problem: the XUB shows the HDD that's being detected has smiley face icons with the number 5 at the end (doesn't seem to detect it properly or I messed up something when configuring the file using the XTIDECFG program.

Sounds like data corruption. Do you have two drives installed on the same cable? If so, make sure master/slave jumpers are set correctly. XUB settings should have been okay so nothing needs to be configured (you may eventually want the other IDE channel removed for faster boot time). First try the XUB with default settings and with one drive only.

Quote Originally Posted by aitotat View Post
    Sounds like data corruption. Do you have two drives installed on the same cable? If so, make sure master/slave jumpers are set correctly. XUB settings should have been okay so nothing needs to be configured (you may eventually want the other IDE channel removed for faster boot time). First try the XUB with default settings and with one drive only.
    I have the CD drive hooked up to its own cable, as well as the hard drive. Maybe there's dirty contacts in the IDE cable itself (luckily, I have a can of DeoxIt). I also attempted to do the same thing hooking up the HDD to the secondary channel as master with the CD drive set to slave mode, and still no dice. Maybe it's the way I configured the XUB using DOSBox to configure the ROM file (will fix that).

Found some binaries r598: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/bi...versions/r598/ and here's the interesting article about the changes: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/ch...euniversalbios
    Last edited by retro-pc_user; August 10th, 2018 at 08:52 AM.