Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model II Lifeboat CP/M CBIOS source code

Default Model II Lifeboat CP/M CBIOS source code

A long shot, but does anyone have a copy of the TRS-80 Model II Lifeboat CP/M CBIOS source code? It would really help shorten the development time for the Lo-Tech IDE driver.

I am also seeking the CBIOS code for Pickles & Trout CP/M, also on the Model II.

Thanks
    JonB

Which version of "Lifeboat CP/M" do you have? I know that 2.24a and 2.25d are posted in the Model II Software Repository. If yours is not, would you consider placing a copy of the disc image in the repository?

With Lifeboat, versions 2.25d or 2.24 and earlier will work on Models II/12/16. Versions 2.25a, b, and c won't work on the 12/16 and on some Model IIs; I think they were meant for the 16B/6000. After reading ChuckG's account (in the http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...river-patching thread) of the genesis of Lifeboat's CBIOS, I might suggest he's the person to be asking this. Failing that, there is a 'USER.ASM' file on the 2.24 distribution you may find helpful.

With Pickles & Trout, the CBIOS for Pickles and Trout CP/M version 2.2mH would be the one to seek. The 2.2mH disc image has the BIOSMODS.PNT and BIOSPARM.PNT files that contain allow installable drivers. The P&T Manual has some notes on what drivers are already in the .PNT files. I'm not sure how easy P&T would be to write drivers for, it got to be a rather complicated system by 2.2mH. There was a version of P&T that worked with Corvus drives, and I do have the ASM for them here. Helpful?
    Last edited by AaronBrockbank; March 8th, 2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Fixed 2.24 as version with user.asm

I have Liveboat v2.25d which came from Don Maslin's archive. There are no bios ASM files on it...

Also P&T 2.2M which says it runs on model II and 16. I have chosen to stick with Lifeboat because it is vanilla, and right now I don't feel like trying to understand the P&T driver system.

Perhaps you could post the Lifeboat ASM file, or a link to the image containing it...? I am not sure where this repository lives..

Regards
    JonB

Blog Entries

Time to haul out the disassembler, methinks.

You do have one big advantage. Most of the other TRS-80 8-bitters have lots of code stuffed away in ROMs. With the Model II, most of what you need is right there in the disk image.

Yep!

But I have an alternative which I'm working on...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronBrockbank View Post
    Which version of "Lifeboat CP/M" do you have? I know that 2.24a and 2.25d are posted in the Model II Software Repository. If yours is not, would you consider placing a copy of the disc image in the repository?
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Perhaps you could post the Lifeboat ASM file, or a link to the image containing it...? I am not sure where this repository lives..
    Regards
    JonB
    Aaron, I don't think we have a good copy of Lifeboat in the repository yet.

JonB, Aaron is referring to https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...r/Software/CPM

Thanks Pete. After I posted I searched and there it was. I see Aton CPM in there and one other. Useful, I will check them out. I'm not wedded to Lifeboat per se, I would be happy with any CPM that had the source files. Anyway, I think that a driver for one CPM will probably work on another if they can be integrated.

If you want to add Lifeboat to your repository, it's in the Don Maslin archive. Let me know if you would like me to send you the image.

Oh, by the way, I think the Lifeboat manual you put in there is for a Model I.

Regards
    JonB

Thanks to Aaron, we now have multiple versions of Lifeboat CP/M in the archive.

https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...e/CPM/Lifeboat

Aaron, can you let us know what are the differences between the images you have provided? I can update the README accordingly. Thanks!

JonB, you're right about the manual not being for the Model II. I'm not sure if the Model I manual is helpful, but I've renamed it to remove any confusion.

Might I say that we owe both Aaron and Pete a big thank you; Pete, this repo of yours is a fantastic thing!
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

I'll second that!