Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebay Follies

Here is a ridiculous one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-M...MZh#ht_552wt_0

MS-DOS 3.3 for US $250.00. It's not even a vanilla Microsoft, but an obscure OEM version. Well, its still in shrink wrap - but there is a reason it was never opened. They don't even try to say why they think it is worth that much. (probably saw a copy of PC-DOS 1.00 sell for that much or something).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Here is a ridiculous one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-M...MZh#ht_552wt_0

MS-DOS 3.3 for US $250.00. It's not even a vanilla Microsoft, but an obscure OEM version. Well, its still in shrink wrap - but there is a reason it was never opened. They don't even try to say why they think it is worth that much. (probably saw a copy of PC-DOS 1.00 sell for that much or something).
    but, but, it's got free delivery.

Exactly why I joined this forum. When I try to resell an item I know very little about the last thing I want to do is set a price so high it never sells. And vice versa, I also don't want to set a price so low it sells within the first few minutes. Even looking at eBay's recently "Sold listings" doesn't always give good accurate ranges. That's why I prefer to seek knowledge in forums from those who actually use the items to help determine what's fair for both buyer and seller.

That is something I have noticed lately. Vintage computers and parts keep getting higher and higher like the aforementioned Amiga 2000. I see way to many Tandy items as an example at really inflated prices. And I am tired of people still riding the Steve Jobs wave. 128k macs for a few thousand dollars! Be real
    *FrankG*

Yea, what I have noticed about eBay sellers is that a lot of them think that the stuff they have is a giant historical artifact even if it is just a scratched up, non-functional piece of junk

Basically, who wants the $10,000 disk of power http://m.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Burroghs-5...862?nav=SEARCH

The fact that he says it's museum grade is my favorite part about this

Edit: Looking back at it, it kinda looks like a bagel
    Last edited by ThisPostContainsComputers; March 15th, 2016 at 10:01 AM.

6. Default

There are Buyers that are willing to pay a elevated a to get what they want, Uneducated Buyers who don't know what the going rate is, and Flippers bent on sucking up lower priced items and dumping them back on the market.

Vintagecomputermuseum seems to spend a lot of time, going everywhere on eBay and bidding on everything that is what I consider to be priced below market. He/she/they then turn around and relist the item for sale, breaking it into smaller pieces if the item was a whole (say a complete computer with software and documentation become just the computer, separate software packages, and separate packets of documentation). Each item selling for much more that it did as part of a "lot". Valuable items are being destroyed as a result. For instance, a rare S-100 board in the box with the software to run it and the owner's manual gets separated into a board (that's sold as-is, some software that's sold as-is, and the manual, also sold as-is. If a Buyer does not find all of the auctions, he/she ends up with a paper weight. I've witnessed this Seller buying used S-100 boards for $20 off eBay that were advertised as not working or dead, and turning around and relisrting them for $200. No value added, like testing or a warranty, just a story about how he/she has owned it for years and it worked fine, only it old now, so it's being sold as-is and not tested.

This Seller can pop up (and he/she does) anywhere in the vintage computer eBay world. If you spot something with what you consider a way below market price, watch and see that Seller will pop up and make a low ball bid. If no one bids against him/them the item will be back soon at five or ten times the price. If you want it, wait until later in the auction period to bid on it, and if no one bids, you will probably win the auction. Vintagecomputermuseum rarely comes back to rebid an item if the price comes off/out of the basement.

Now, this being said, I do search eBay for floppy disk drives to buy in bulk for resale. In the past I have not resold floppy disk drive on eBay. I'm not sure that the market was ready to pay an leveled price for my reconditioned drives, regardless of the additional value I build into the drives I sell. Lately I've seen drive prices coming up as good used floppy drives become more scarce. The price gap between my price my working and warrantied floppy drives, and eBay Sellers with As-Is drives almost has disappeared.

I only buy, trade, and sell specific brands of floppy drives, after cleaning, aligning and testing each drive. I don not buy or sell what I consider to be junk drives, poorly designed, poorly built, or built out of inferior materials. I will work on such drives for a fee if a Customer brings a non-working one to me and asks for assistance in having it repaired. I inform the customer of why that particular drive is inferior, and that he will get charged a fee whether the drive is repairable or not to cover my time and the use of my equipment.

I provide a six-month warranty to private users (warranty for commercial use is shorter now, because a commercial user may be literally using the drive/s 24 hours a day and I have seen drives worn out that way). who buy my drives. That's what I consider to be adding value.

Well shipping is FREE!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ThisPostContainsComputers View Post
    Yea, what I have noticed about eBay sellers is that a lot of them think that the stuff they have is a giant historical artifact even if it is just a scratched up, non-functional piece of junk

Basically, who wants the $10,000 disk of power http://m.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Burroghs-5...862?nav=SEARCH

The fact that he says it's museum grade is my favorite part about this

Gold does not tarnish.

If the disk is heavily gold plated as the Seller claims, how could it be corroding/tarnished?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MicrocomputerSolutions View Post
    Gold does not tarnish.

If the disk is heavily gold plated as the Seller claims, how could it be corroding/tarnished?
    On E-bay metals work differently... /s

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I'm really curious about the S/N in this Altair 8800 auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162007773522...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT