Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Dos-Card

Quote Originally Posted by gyromatical View Post
    Hi Dr. Zeissler,
    It has no software, no thumb/case screws (to fasten to back panel). It includes the two cables.
    I can send it for €25 shipped. If you're still interested I can post a photograph.

Thanks

It arrived today und looks very good! Thank you very much.
    The "extras" are very usefull as well!!!!

Great seller!

Greetings from Germany
    Doc

Tested the card today. It is working GREAT!!! Thank You very much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
    Aditional informations about the DX2/66 card for the PPC-6100.
    I have one, but it does not work in my PPC-6100. After 2-3 minutes it freezes. Resetting results in a black-screen or an error code "022" whatever that means.
    If I put this card in my Quadra 700 it runs fine without any problems.
    I think it is a thermal issue in my PPC-6100 because PPC-Cpu and DX2/66 are really nearby and the dx2/66 card is perhaps overheating?
    I will go for another Card to see if it has the same issue.

I REALLY like the Dos-Card that is meant for the PPC-6100 using in my Quadra 700 because the Quadra seems to be by far the better machine.
    For a PPC the 6100/66 is slow. The Quadra700 as an 68k is nearby top-level with it's 68040/25.

What I really need is the special adapter to mount the Dos-Card in my Quadra700. I think it's nearly unpossible to get it, but if I do not ask for it, nobody will offer me one
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070707.../44special.htm
    I have two DX2/66 Cards. One has a jumper for "DX/SX" the other one has no jumper. The one with Jumper works fine in my 6100/66. It gets VERY! hot, but still works after hours.
    The other one with nor jumper works, but freezes after 1-2 minutes. A cold reboot shows "022" nothing more. I did not find an explenation for the error code yet.
    The error code is not depending on the RAM, because I get it with SIM in the DosCard and without (using 6100/66 memory).

I want to use the DosCard that it not working in my 6100/66 in the Quadra700 instead. The Orange PC Modell 340 (NUBUS) is out of reach. Nobody has one to sell, therefore I am
    currently searching for the addon-Board in order to place the DX2/66 DosCard savely in the Q700. In think I will have to change position/angle of the sound-connectors in order to get the Q700
    case closed and for the Sound I am thinking about a NUBUS-Sound-Card with "LineIn"? Does such a NUBUS-Sound-Card exist?

Thx
    Doc

Update Apple-PC-Cards!

I recently got a G3 B&W. It already had the Firmware 1.1 that is needed for my OrangePC620. I downgreaded the CPU on the OrangePC620 to a P75 (passive cooling possible) but there are serveral OrangePC620 out there Mine has no SB or I did not find it, so no Sound in Dosgaming. Win9x should be possible with emulated sound through the mac. But I thought about Dosgaming and therefore this card is not usefull for my purpose.

The Apple PC-Cards do not work with a G3 B&W. So I will have to go for something else. I did not find the "premium" OrangePC620-Model with SB-Sound. So I will have to go for another card. Therefore I 'll have to change the palttform.

Currently I am thinking about a G3-Desktop or a 73xx/75xx with G3-CPU-Uprgade an an Apple PC-Dos-Card with a real Dos/Win3x compatible Gfx- and Soundcard.

The Apple DX2/66 Doscard in my 6100/66 is very! nice, but due to cooling issues it gets VERY!! hot because it's directly over the ppc-cpu witch also get very hot. This is a great design error in my opinion!

I have another DX2/66 Card that does not fit in my Quadra700 because the card is not meant for that PC. It's to short and the connectors for the Sound and CD must be changed in order to get the case of the Q700 closed. But I found a way to get the Sound-Issue fixed. I ordered a Nubus PAS-16 Soundcard whitch has an external Sounddock-Connector für Input/Optput/Joystick etc. So it should be no Problem the with Sound. But the other issues are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
    Aditional informations about the DX2/66 card for the PPC-6100.

I have one, but it does not work in my PPC-6100. After 2-3 minutes it freezes. Resetting results in a black-screen or an error code "022" whatever that means.
    If I put this card in my Quadra 700 it runs fine without any problems. I think it is a thermal issue in my PPC-6100 because PPC-Cpu and DX2/66 are really nearby and the dx2/66 card is perhaps overheating?
    Intel 486 DX/2 66 parts could usually get away with just a medium sized heatsink if the case had adequate space and ventilation. AMD and Cyrix parts drew more power, produced more heat and were on the knife edge of running out of thermal specs with just a passive cooler in an open air environment. In a tiny case like the 6100, it'd run like an easybake oven.

In the picture you attached, I'm surprised there's no fan on that 586, you could probably fry an egg on that thing.

sorry for warming this up:

Has anyone ever checked if an AMD K6-III+ is working on an orange-pc 620 ?
    It has SIS5598 chipset with integreated 2d gui acceleration (which seems to be not so bad)
    The PCChips 571 PC Board has this too and there is a bios-patch for getting the K6 III+ to work with it.

If I choose WIn98 that emulates an SB16 within dos-window/fullscreen it might be possible to get
    sound in plain dos and be able to control the performance via software. That would be nice

btw:
    My PM6100 works just great with the 486 DX2/66 Card.
    I have changed the noisy SCSI-Driver to an SCSI2SD with a 2GB SD Card. So there is no heat from
    the harddrive and the cooling-system is ok for the rest. It get's hat but it works!

Pretty sure that the K6-3 and K6-3+ do not work in the 620. I think the last supported CPU is the K6-II.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I think my K6-2 AFR 400 and my K6-3 AFR 400 will both work.
    I will search for the TDP what will be better (less powerdrawing)

But the III+ will perhaps not work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hm, K6-3 works but only 256Mhz ?

I replied to your E-mail, but it looks like you can use a K6-III with the right DIP settings.

http://archive.retro.co.za/mirrors/6...ml#Anchor-6296
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html