Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Screen for Compaq Portable 486c - 640X480 10.4" TFT LCD (COLOR) p/n 128902-001

I've got one for parts or repair posted to eBay if you are still interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/332036920654

As I mention in the auction, the screen still worked when the unit would boot up, but that was years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fear025 View Post
    I've got one for parts or repair posted to eBay if you are still interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/332036920654

As I mention in the auction, the screen still worked when the unit would boot up, but that was years ago.
    Rats, I missed that one.

Still looking for a screen and looking at alternatives. Looks like my SHARP model# was wrong, looks like it's an LQ or LM series screen of some kind with a 30 pin connector. May also be up for grabs after awhile if I can't find a screen for it - as/is for parts.

I have a restore process for repairing the Sharp displays used in these. I could offer my service for a fee to restore these if anyone needs. It involves several hours of careful work, but it will keep it working for years to come.

I should note though that I've decided these displays are just hardly worth the trouble, even at their best they are not great looking by a long shot. I'm going to be playing with finding the very nicest display I can to put in one, just for fun.

I have a Sharp QD-101MM LCD screen from that era. It probably uses the same panel as what you're looking for.

I wanted to go with the NL6448BC33-74 panel, which is IPS and would look amazing, but it was harder to get a controller for. I went with a AA104VH01, which is easy and cheap to get a controller with it. I managed to get the panel with all supporting parts for $100 shipped. I've already installed it and it works well, just doing the final cabling. Lining it up inside the 486c is the hardest part. I went with attaching it to the frame from the original LCD, making it easy to attach.. but lining everything up so that the outer plastic covers screen opening lined up perfectly is tricky.

Now I'm just fussing with HDD replacements.. CF is being difficult.. but the original disk is very noisy and slow, and probably will die any day.

New screen.IMG_1708.jpg