Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HP Jornada 820

Default HP Jornada 820

Hello all,

I recently had the opportunity to score an HP Jornada 820 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162018462368...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As I await its arrival, I am wondering if I will be able to use the USB port for a memory device, or perhaps even attaching a CDROM device. Here is what one description says:

"The Jornada comes with a USB (Universal Serial Bus) port, a feature new to Windows CE in the H/PC Pro edition. Unfortunately, Microsoft only included a mouse driver for this port (for the Microsoft Intellimouse V3.0 USB, or a compatible mouse). You will need to look for additional drivers if you want to use the USB port for other peripherals."

This is consistent with most descriptions that I've found out on the Internet so far. I've also seen references to some sort of USB driver called USBclik or ClikUSB that some folks were able to obtain back in the early 2000s that supposedly opened up the capability of the Jornada 820's USB port to allow using USB memory sticks.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about this? Can anyone point me to where I might still be able to find USB drivers for Windows CE for H/PC Pro?

Thanks very much for listening.

smp

Blog Entries

My main worries about this device would be the battery - I have two 820's, both are just gathering dust. The problem - once the main battery is dead, it is dead, and there is no way to revive it (many tried and failed). Even if you do replace cells in the battery, you can not use it - the carging circuit inside battery is designed, that once there is power disconnected (battery dead), it will never allow it to work, even with replaced cells.

Looks like the battery in your unit is very much alive, so it may not be a problem, at least for some time...

Say, why do you need this USB support? You can use large size CF cards with this device, and copy all the files you need. For other data, just sync with your computer with data transfer cable or infrared.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    My main worries about this device would be the battery - I have two 820's, both are just gathering dust. The problem - once the main battery is dead, it is dead, and there is no way to revive it (many tried and failed). Even if you do replace cells in the battery, you can not use it - the carging circuit inside battery is designed, that once there is power disconnected (battery dead), it will never allow it to work, even with replaced cells.

Looks like the battery in your unit is very much alive, so it may not be a problem, at least for some time...

Say, why do you need this USB support? You can use large size CF cards with this device, and copy all the files you need. For other data, just sync with your computer with data transfer cable or infrared.
    That reminds me of an old NEC laptop. They had a circuit board in the battery ("intelligent battery") that also included a little fuse which was very delicate. So in theory if any of the cells was dead the fuse would blow and prevent further charging. Obviously they were scared of cells exploding or burning from overcharge. The dumb thing was that this even happened when any (or all) cell was simply deeply discharged. So obviously even after replacing the cells it wouldn't work because of the blown fuse. For the NEC we just gave a s**t and bridged the fuse. That actually worked. I can imagine that the Jornada uses a similar system.
    Last edited by kyodai; April 20th, 2016 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Hey, thanks a million, krebizfan! That looks like exactly what I need.

Now, if I can only get my Mac to recognize the Compact Flash card after it's been initialized by the Jornada, I could actually use it to transfer files back and forth...

smp

Well... What I was initially worried about was that I have only one Compact Flash card (64 MB) and what if either the Jornada or my Mac do not want to handle it correctly? I was hoping for another method to transfer files back and forth. I have a few small USB memory sticks (<=1 GB) that I can use.

Anyway. I got the Jornada today, and at present, my fear is true. The Jornada recognizes the Compact Flash card and asks to initialize it. I say OK, and everything looks good. But, when I then try to read the Compact Flash card on my Mac, nothing shows up on my desktop, and the Disk Utility indicates that I have an unknown storage device that is all used up and no free space. If I initialize the Compact Flash card on my Mac with a FAT file system, then when I put it back into the Jornada, it is seen as not yet initialized again.

I'm not going to be able to transfer files from my Mac into the Jornada if the Jornada wants to initialize the Compact Flash card every time I plug it in...

Oh, well, off to do some more experimenting.

smp

My main worries about this device would be the battery -

Yes, the battery seems to be in good shape right now. It came to me with 58% power, and I am charging it in the Jornada now. Hopefully, it will last me for a while.

Is the Jornada able to operate with a dead battery and the charger plugged in?

Thanks,
    smp

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Yes, the battery seems to be in good shape right now. It came to me with 58% power, and I am charging it in the Jornada now. Hopefully, it will last me for a while.

Is the Jornada able to operate with a dead battery and the charger plugged in?

Thanks,
    smp
    Yes, it will work, however, you will loose all portability, and you should never disconnect it from charger - it will start to drain backup battery, and when it's dead, you will loose all installed software on a Jornada itself (CF data will remain, of course).

As for software - you can easily use larger CF card on this device, it should work perfectly. (At least 1 GB works with no problems). As for file system itself, Jornada shouold recognize FAT32 file system with no problems. I never tried compatibility with Mac computer though - these computers were made to be synced with PC, not Mac. In your caese I would use any other PC, copy data there, and then copy via USB flash card reader to CF card to be used in Jornada.

If you do not have any PC yourself, you can at least find one to use for data transfer. One more possibility - damaged CF card itself - did you try to copy and read daa from it, at least on a Mac?

Yes, it will work, however, you will loose all portability, and you should never disconnect it from charger - it will start to drain backup battery, and when it's dead, you will loose all installed software on a Jornada itself (CF data will remain, of course).
    Thanks. That's what I thought.

I have not looked at what power comes off of the charger unit. Might it be possible to construct a separate battery box of some sort to power the Jornada via the charger connection? Just a thought.

If you do not have any PC yourself, you can at least find one to use for data transfer. One more possibility - damaged CF card itself - did you try to copy and read daa from it, at least on a Mac?
    Yes, I can initialize the CF as FAT, write and read back properly on the Mac. And, I can initialize, write and read back when the CF is installed in the Jornada. My only problem is that after the Jornada does its initialization, then the CF becomes unreadable on my Mac.

I suppose a different CF card might simply work. It's hard to tell with a sample of one.

I have a PC laptop that I use as a terminal for my other vintage machines, and I have an adapter to plug the CF card into so I can plug it into a USB port (that's what I've been using on my Mac). My next step will be to plug the CF card into that laptop PC and see if it will be able to read and write the Jornada initialized CF card. If that goes OK, then I'll be in business for getting files onto and off of the Jornada.

SMP, a good site for support on Windows CE devices like the Jornada 820 would be http://www.hpcfactor.com/

The 820 has both USB host and client, so should be able to read a thumb drive, though based on this thread, you'll need the Iomega Clik! driver first, which is available on the site. I used the same setup in an NEC MobilePro 880, and was able to recognize a 500 GB hard drive (though it needed to be formatted in FAT32).

As for the CF card, I'd definitely try it in a Windows machine, and see if there are any issues. I've used 4 GB in my MobilePro, and a 2 GB CF card in my older HP 620LX with the CE 2.11 (HPC Pro) upgrade without issue.