Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

Default XT-IDE Version 3

Is anyone making and selling XT-IDE cards? Making one myself is beyond my skills, and the tiny 20MB hard drive in my 5150 isn't nearly big enough. I see a lot of people discussing the card and I've found parts lists, but I don't see anyone actually selling them (perhaps there's a reason for this?).
    Last edited by tempest; April 29th, 2016 at 06:43 PM.

I've got a few left on hand, I'll PM you about it.

Posted this publicly so that future searchers for XT-IDE will find it! I have bare rev 2 boards on hand, and can assemble + test as well.

Same here. I'm debating about getting one myself.

There's also a guy (CarlosTex) over at AmiBay making/selling them.
    The Geek In Me - my computer blog

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Saint View Post
    There's also a guy (CarlosTex) over at AmiBay making/selling them.
    Isn't he selling the XT-CF rather than the full XT-IDE?

I'd love one, either bag of parts or fully assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've got a few left on hand, I'll PM you about it.

Posted this publicly so that future searchers for XT-IDE will find it! I have bare rev 2 boards on hand, and can assemble + test as well.

OK, so I don't have enough for everyone who wants one, which means it's time to do another XT-IDE run! Now, as someone who's personally assembled probably 20-25 XT-IDE boards, including some from the original run, I have a few things I'd like to change and come up with a Rev 3 board. Some of them are minor technical details (resizing pin header holes to better accommodate the detent headers I use, for example), but some are function changes:

- Return to DIP switches, much nicer than jumpers in my opinion
    - Removal of UART circuit (not one board I've assembled was requested to have it)
    - Removal of 4-pin Molex power connector, everyone is using CF or industrial Flash modules
    - Permanent "Chuck mod"
    - Switch to 74xx373 latches (more common in hobbyist parts bins, IMO)

Does anyone see a problem with any of these mods? Obviously the Rev 2 design could still be run, and I can run it as well if people really want the Rev 2 unmodified.

Additionally, I'll be optimizing the board for size, which should get the cost down a little per-board. I should still be able to do hard gold plating on the edge connectors. I'll try and put as much documentation on the silkscreen as possible. I'd like to stick with the "All TTL" design to make it easier for future builders to get an XT-IDE up and going without having to worry about programming GALs and such. I see no reason to switch to surface mount parts since the ISA card edge and 40-pin connector constrain the size of the board anyway.

Moderators, does someone want to rename this thread "XT-IDE Version 3"?

What's the Chuck Mod?

EDIT: Looks like I can't change the thread title after all.
    Last edited by tempest; April 29th, 2016 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    What's the Chuck Mod?
    ChuckG figured out that two of the ports could be put on consecutive I/O addresses and accessed with a single 16-bit instruction rather than two 8-bit instructions. This makes it much faster.

FYI, there's still a bunch of the blank boards available from Todd Goodman. According to the board inventory at https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/d...boardinventory (scroll down to "Other (formerly known as "Mini") Boards"), he has 24 on hand. They are $12 each plus S&H.

<*> Jim