Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VGA Cards that work in 5150 board.

Default VGA Cards that work in 5150 board.

Hi all,

I thought whilst I had my vintage PC gear out I'd test the 8 and 16 bit VGA cards I have in my recently repaired 5150 board to see if they worked.
    Below are pictures of the cards that work.

Modem7, if you want to pinch these for your compatibility list feel free.

The first two are 8 bit cards, I have a couple of the WDC ones actually built into machines and they work well.

The first one has "Copyright WAVE Mate Inc", but no model no or anything, main chip seems to be Intel.
    wave-mate-018-037.jpg

This one is a WDC board, There are two similar boards on http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/ that appear to be the 16 bit version of this.
    WDC-paradise-pvga1a-jk.jpg

Bioes for the above two : 8bit.zip

The next bunch are 16 bit cards all of which seemed to work in their default configuration.

These two are marked OCTEC, one has a Triedent 8800 and the other a Trident 8900 chip
    oktek-trident-8800.jpg
    oktek-trident-8900.jpg

Bioses : 16bit-octec.zip

oak-vga-ko77.jpg
    CL-GD5401.jpg
    Video-seven-vga16e.jpg

16 bit bioses 16bit.zip

This last card would only work with a V20 CPU so I suspect it uses 186/286 instructions.
    Marked Wang 3050
    wang-3050.jpg

Bios 16bit-wang.zip

Cheers.

Phill.
    Last edited by prime; April 30th, 2016 at 12:58 PM.

And here's the BIOS files....

Humm for some reason it won't let me upload the zip file with the bioses in.....

Cheers.

Phill.

This forum won't attach anything larger than 99k. Perhaps split the zips up.
    You might also try tinyupload instead.

Also, do you have the exact names of each of these cards?

I also have VGA Card (OAK 16bit ISA / WD 16bit ISA).
    I think most of 16bit ISA VGA works on IBM PC 5150 / 5160 motherboard.

Many, yes. But not all, and it gets frustrating when trying to fix a computer and you don't know if a card is really supposed to work.

For reference, another thread on the subject:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-ISA-VGA-cards

And another list here:
    http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/vga/5150_vga.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post
    I think most of 16bit ISA VGA works on IBM PC 5150 / 5160 motherboard.
    I know that's not the case.

I have a stack of 16-bit ISA VGA cards that don't.

And, I have several that work fine on the 5160 but not at all on the 5150.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have a stack of 16-bit ISA VGA cards that don't.

And, I have several that work fine on the 5160 but not at all on the 5150.
    Stone, have you documented these somewhere? It would even be good to have a list of cards known NOT to work.

There was a thread recently where someone else had a card that works on a 5160 but not 5150. But I still find that odd as the only significant difference I am aware of is a 5150 reserved range of I/O ports (that cause problem for IDE related stuff). Of course the first rev 5150 BIOS doesn't count because a later version is a well known minimum requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    This forum won't attach anything larger than 99k. Perhaps split the zips up.
    You might also try tinyupload instead.

Also, do you have the exact names of each of these cards?
    That seems insane, especially considering the size of the image files

Cheers.

Phill.

If you look closely you will notice that all large image attachments are recompressed by the forum software so they are about 99k. With JPGs that is usually not too noticeable, but it messes up large PNGs. Just re-download the images you posted above and look at the file size.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Stone, have you documented these somewhere? It would even be good to have a list of cards known NOT to work.

There was a thread recently where someone else had a card that works on a 5160 but not 5150. But I still find that odd as the only significant difference I am aware of is a 5150 reserved range of I/O ports (that cause problem for IDE related stuff). Of course the first rev 5150 BIOS doesn't count because a later version is a well known minimum requirement.
    I mentioned that not to long ago. (It's version 3.)

I will put a list together of what I have that doesn't work on my 5160 and the card I have that does work on the 5160 but not on the 5150.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen