Image Map Image Map

Thread: This Altair case..

Blog Entries

Default This Altair case..

This *is* a legit/original Altair case, right?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ALTAIR-8800-v...e/162127479873

Maybe it's all the rust on the capacitors or what I understand is not an original S100 plate.. I'm impressed at what it is fetching for what it is, with absence of serial number and given condition.

I'm also wondering.. for someone who has a fixed budget to work with, is buying an Altair piecemeal like this a realistic option? ie. will you ever be able to find the required CPU card (I've not seen one on Ebay recently). Or could you make it work with some other S100 cpu card?

I really want an Altair.. but I have a hard time knowing how to value them.. seen a lot go for well south of $2000 and then a whole bunch go way above that, mostly low serial number or factory assembled machines but a few that didn't seem to have any discernable difference from the cheaper ones.

I saw this one earlier this week. It's pretty rough. It's probably one of those transitional 8800 -> 8800A machines, not really either, somewhere in between.

You can stuff pretty much any collection of S-100 boards in there and cobble together a functional system. The best deals I've seen for Altairs recently are the ones that basically include everything you need to build a working system. Finding parts bit by bit, especially if you don't have other S-100 systems, adds up quickly. That one's really rough though, and aside from the case + front panel and a very nasty looking power supply and motherboard, you don't get much for your money.

Remember that a lot of the different Altair bits mechanically work together. I've seen an 8800B Turnkey chassis get refitted as an 8800A-ish system. It mostly all goes together, so this may be one of those mutt systems.

EDIT: Another thing to ask yourself is why you want an Altair -- that will determine what you should go after. If you just want a rev 0 8800, then you're limited to the high end of the price range, even if it's really beat up. If you want something reliable that says MITS on the outside, go with an 8800B, either with the full front panel or a Turnkey system. At least then you'll get a decent power supply and an adequate motherboard (though the card guides are truly awful, better off without them). The 8800B is of course much easier to work on, with a detachable front panel (other full front panel machines are, by default, hardwired to the motherboard with dozens of fragile white wires).

It is legit but, I'd only use for parts. The switches and lights etc. The price so far says a lot about how rare these are getting.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Hi All;

Falter, I know it is in real rough condition, But, If the price is somewhere in You Range, and with Your ability to Rebuild stuff, It might be just the Ticket for You..

Also, Remember that You can get Boards from John and Andrew and have a working system, until You can find what You are really looking for..

THANK YOU Marty

i also have some power supply boards left from my build also to get it going.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=klyball