Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange KayPro Desktop PC...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd82TA View Post
    What would be the easiest way for me to identify the FDC chip?
    It should be a large chip with the NEC brand on it and 765 in the middle of the part number.

Otherwise post pics!

Thanks guys! Should I just remove it and re-seat it? Or do you think I need to replace it, as in... there's something wrong with it?

Blog Entries

Those rarely go bad. Try re-seating it. After that, it's a matter for logic probe or scope.

If it is socketed, I had suggested temporarily removing it while trying that other ISA floppy card. That *might* let it work.

Just wanted to updated this and say thanks to everyone who's helped.

I went through a bunch of different things, but I am (at this point) with something that works.

I fiddled with the floppy drives repeatedly, trying to see what was going on. I finally swapped out the motherboards (got rid of the 10Mhz "Triple Speed" board, and swapped it with the 8.77Mhz board). I eventually started to see some improvement in the drive, but still wouldn't load. I bought an aftermarket FDD from Seagate (8-bit) and it still didn't work. I eventually figured out it was an issue with the drive's connector. For some reason though, the other drives wouldn't work either, but having it connected in the first place was causing issues. There was an intermediary cable (with an A/B jumper), and I bypassed it completely. I then finally got it to boot. Next, I wanted to get the drives working. I could get the Seagate ST-225 drive running and loaded... but I wanted more, partially because it kept hanging since I'd run into bad sectors.

I bought a Seagate XT/IDE controller, and it didn't work. I could see it load up, but it could never detect the drives I had in it. Granted, the smallest thing I could find was some weird off-brand 40 meg IDE. I received in the mail today, a Silicon Computers ADP50L XT/IDE controller, and it detected my 120meg Connor drive. Oddly enough, the configuration screen was G=c800:6 instead of g=c800:5 like the Seagate used.

It now boots from the hard drive, and I can see the graphics from the video connector adaptor that Osgeld on here made for me... thanks Osgeld!!!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who's helped me. This has been a lot of fun. I found all my old games, and even a very old version of Sopwith that I grew up with. I didn't realize it was called Sopwith because the version I have, it says "The Red Baron." Like a true nerd, I contacted the original programmer (who's got to be like almost 70 now) and he told me that was his first version of the game.

Thanks again!!!