Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple iie control key problem

Question Apple iie control key problem

Hello,

I recently got the apple iie platinum in a fairly great condition. However, the control key behaves weird. When I press the control key, the computer is reset like both control and reset keys pressed together.

I'm not sure if this is related to the other issue - the 5.25 disk drive boots fine but additional reading after a key stroke (for example, reading after intro of the game) doesn't occur.

I'm pretty much sure the disk drive and diskettes have no problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Even with a //e the reset and control keys act in series. I would think your reset key is shorted across somehow.

Larry G

Does your //e pass the built in self test? You could try running it see if it catches anything pertaining to the floppy issue, not going to help with ctrl/reset issue though, that's likely in the keyboard itself like retrogear suggests.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Thanks, Larry G. That makes sense. I will definitely check if the reset key is shorted. Is it a common issue with the iie keyboards?

Quote Originally Posted by RWallmow View Post
    Does your //e pass the built in self test? You could try running it see if it catches anything pertaining to the floppy issue, not going to help with ctrl/reset issue though, that's likely in the keyboard itself like retrogear suggests.
    How can I run self test?

Quote Originally Posted by lovebite View Post
    How can I run self test?
    Normally It's OpenApple-ClosedApple-Ctrl-Reset, but since you have suspect keys/keyboard, just unplug the keyboard ribbon, the computer should automatically run the self test when powered on without the keyboard present.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.