Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITX motherboard with dual floppy support wanted.

Default ITX motherboard with dual floppy support wanted.

Thanks anyway, but I've decided to install a LS-120 drive in my existing system to read and write 3.5" floppies.
    Last edited by Fire-Flare; August 16th, 2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Ending thread

doesn't exist. at least for Win7. You might find a pentium 3 era board for win98.

This has been asked here before. Long story short, I use a micro atx setup. 1 5.25 floppy on the mobo itself, and I use either a usb 3.5 drive or an ls-120.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

I think there were one or two mATX (a bit larger, but still small) Socket AM2+ boards that still had 2-floppy support. The problem with mITX is that everything's on a diet, and sacrifices must be made for the good of the cause.

Blog Entries

The downside with AM2 and later motherboards was that to use floppy drives the High Performance Event Timer needs to be disabled. One can't have a system setup up to provide both good game play with an FPS from 2005 and access the floppy drive; changing the BIOS and rebooting is needed.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm not a game player, so that doesn't affect me. Perhaps there's a socket 939 board that fits the description, then.

I have a socket 478 P4 mATX board from IBM that supports 2 floppies, but it's utter garbage otherwise. Uses SDRAM, not DDR and a slow P4...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, I'm not a game player, so that doesn't affect me. Perhaps there's a socket 939 board that fits the description, then.

I have a socket 478 P4 mATX board from IBM that supports 2 floppies, but it's utter garbage otherwise. Uses SDRAM, not DDR and a slow P4...
    Thanks for the offer, but I need the board to be ITX or DTX; It's going to live inside an unmodified IBM 5150 chassis and mATX won't fit in the motherboard area.

If i was doing that, i'd probably use a rasberry pi and usb floppy disks. No 5.25, but there are ways around it. I would not be surprised to find a pi shield that controls floppy disks.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

You might be able to find a used Shuttle SN41g2 or a sff of that vintage with a floppy connector.

Blog Entries

Well, I've used an Orange Pi to read and write USB floppies using Ubuntu for ARM.

But somehow, I don't think that's what the OP is after. For example, when he's given an .IMD for a 5.25" 360K floppy, what does he do?

There are quite a few socket 478 SFF industrial motherboards on ebay with dual floppy support. This one should work:

www.ebay.com/itm/182231388953

Here is the manual

http://www.totalnet.co.kr/filebank/driver/menual66.pdf