Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 with custom case

Default M1 with custom case

Just found on eBay this Model 1 with custom casing. My question is about the case for the base unit - reminds me of the terminal keyboards I used at Uni. Was that an (even vaguely) common conversion?

Blog Entries

Scrounging discarded terminal keyboards was very common.

Those boards don't look like they came off a Model 1 though. It might be a much more interesting system using the cheap Radio Shack monitor. Shame the seller has no disks for it.

That looks like a Model I CPU board with an E/I. You can see the crappy connector for the RS-232 Board on the E/I.

Tom

Those boards almost look like the ones out of a Cyzern System 7000... an oddball model 1 clone that came with all that stuff stuffed in a large metal case -- with way too little clearance and no insulation. If you typed too hard the boards were prone to shorting against each-other AND the case. Got worse when you connected the external floppy drives, as they would often short out their power to ground and burn the circuitry clear off the substrate.

It wasn't uncommon at all for Cyzern owners to move the boards into another case. Likewise while the circuitry was identical the ROM wasn't 100% model 1 compatible, so it was common to just swap the ROM or provide an external one along with the lower case mod... which that little board with the extra ROM's on it could be that too.

The BIG thing I remember about the CZ7K was that it had a higher resolution display output and character ROM. The one I had (briefly) used 8x12 characters on a 512x192 composite output -- looked GLORIOUS compared to a real model 1.

I got rid of mine when I got a model 4, kinda wish I kept it as it was such an odd duck.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

It's definitely a M1 right down to the keyboard.

MPI disk drive and custom PSU. but the CPU and EI boards and keyboard are genuine Tandy. The enclosure is custom, for both the keyboard and "computer" parts.

What a complete waste of time this was as nothing seems to be electronically or ergonomically improved.

My 2c worth.

Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

A very popular custom setup, in the UK, was a 'Blandford Box'. This, unofficial mod., was made by OJ House & Son (official UK Tandy suppliers), in Blandford Forum. Oz. House and his son Nick, attended the NATGUG user group meetings ALL over the country!
    It was a custom made/designed wooden box that contained a complete M1 keyboard, 2, 40 track disks and an E/I (minus their cases). The monitor was placed on the top. In its time, it was quite revolutionary and a very must-have piece of kit. The main benefit was the whole setup became much easier to carry around and only 1 mains plug was required.
    I haven't seen one in over 30 odd years, anyone out there with a photo?

One thing we can say about our beloved Model I is that its deficiencies led to a lot of enthusiastic solutions and hacks by both individuals and small companies. Some better than others. But, it appears to have really made for a very interesting time in the late 1970s. I guess the Model III killed a lot of that innovation because it addressed many of those initial TRS-80 problems in a nice sleek package.

My first computer was a Model III bought by my parents. And at the time I was quite grumpy that we got that and not the Model 1 as it looked (to me) much cooler.

Now that I'm playing with a Model 1 (along with my 4), I realise that both my parents and the manager of the local Tandy store were 100% right and I was wrong.

PJH

Quote Originally Posted by pjhacnau View Post
    Now that I'm playing with a Model 1 (along with my 4), I realise that both my parents and the manager of the local Tandy store were 100% right and I was wrong.

PJH
    THE-MOMENT-YOU-REALIZE-YOUR-PARENTS-WERE-RIGHT-AL.jpg

Well I bought it. It's in the boot (or trunk) of my car as we speak.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is