Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Netronics Explorer/85

I also used DASMX - great tool when I started I didn't have the monitor manual so most of my notes came from the SDK-85 monitor where they matched The listing is in the back of the SDK-85 manual (and about half of the early 80s microcomputer text books it seems) - also been using DASMX on the Basic off and on for years, one day maybe I finish it. Looks like you have the replacement ROMS for D000 and D800 - there were problems with the originals. Wouldn't mind a dump to compare to mine.

Jim
    Who let out the magic smoke!!!!!!!!!!!

Were you looking for this?

Intel SDK-85 monitor ROM version 2.1
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks but I was looking for the Netronics Explorer-85 hex-key pad monitor version. There were two versions of the EX-85 one with a serial terminal monitor and the hex-key pad monitor - I don't believe very many of hose were ever sold. I have had my first EX-85 since 1979 (My first Computer but now have 3 of them) and was also a subscriber to Explorations a news letter for the EX-85 - I believe at most there were only about a 100 of us getting the newsletter and almost everyone had trouble with the kits but there were quite a few that were eventually satisfactory systems there was even a bio-medical group (In Wisconsin I think) that had 5 or 6 of them running with hard drives even. The Jade DD S100 disk controller with 8' Siemens drives was a popular set-up.

Jim

gslick - Thanks! I've been curious to compare the SDK-85 to the Explorer. I'll track down the manual for the listing as well.

Jim - I'll find my Basic dumps for you. I can't remember if I used mine or one of the images I found for my board, so I need to sort out my files to figure out which is which. I also started running Basic through DASMX. It's a way-back burner project for me as well. There are some disassembled versions of the Altair that provided interesting clues.

My single-board design is posted. I'll start a new thread for that.

I finally found my Explorer-85 box that was sitting in my shed for 2-3 years and found it not even close to what Falter have in terms of the board contents. Based on the documentation (assembly instructions), I have a level A (probably the minimum level kit from Netronics) and is EX-85 (configured for RS232) based on the chip (I think!).

Here is the close-up of the chip that seems to indicate so.... also note the ribbon cable wires (only four) that goes to the other (vid-1) board.

However, along with the box, it came with this Netronics ASCII Keyboard and VID-1 board (there is a missing key--got to find one).

Notice the RF - Video interface (not a Netronics kit).

It did not come with a power supply but instead - 3 RadioShack Intel 8085 reference manuals. But there is a instructions assembly manual for it, plus other related Manuals...

I don't know much about this system so I am going to start slowly on it by first trying to build the PSupply of -/+8Vdc.

BTW: Thanks to Nib for sharing his Simple8085

Your 8355 has "EXPL85" which is the terminal version especially since you have a terminal same set up my first one from 1979 was.

Could you scan a copy of the AP-1 power supply instructions - I don't have that document and would like to add it to my collection.

Not sure where to get new key-switch and the proper key cap but one a key cap from a different keyboard might work. I think the reset and interrupt keys on the EX-85 board may be the same and maybe try a different key for one of them.

Jim

That terminal brings back memories. I had the same one for my system, but can't find it now. It may have gotten trashed at some point. My system had problems with the RS-232 blowing out the driver transistors. One of them is bad on the board currently, so I just bypassed the whole thing and hooked an FTDI adapter (and an inverter) directly to SID and SOD on the CPU to get it talking. Good luck getting it running. It's a pretty neat little design.

Here are photos of the AP-1 Power Supply. I'll get the manual scanned and will post that as well.
    IMG_2303.jpgIMG_2301.jpgIMG_2302.jpgIMG_2304.jpg

Scanned in a copy of the AP-1 instructions and schematic:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xgsgmnwv1...Power.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Nib...for sharing the pics. ...I guess I don't have to scan mine.

I wonder what is the spec of the power transformer... 20v ct or 16v ct? I could use some help...thanks
    Last edited by RizThomas; March 4th, 2017 at 09:34 PM.