Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: So, this big metal box followed me home...

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClausB View Post
    Try each, in that order, if you have the time.
    Well, I made some space in my storage, so that might be possible. I'm not optimistic about option 1, though. All of those cards add up and I would expect lowball offers from flippers wanting to part it out.

    I could do that myself, but before I do I'll at least give #1 a try. It's a pretty unique machine and it would be nice if it could be preserved.

  2. #12

    Default

    I'd honestly try to keep that thing in one piece. It's unlikely that there are many (if any) other ones in existence.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    I could do that myself, but before I do I'll at least give #1 a try. It's a pretty unique machine and it would be nice if it could be preserved.
    Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh? It is certainly interesting and should be kept together.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh? It is certainly interesting and should be kept together.
    I've never weighed it, but I'll do so when I get a chance (probably not tomorrow, though - I'm taking my 70 year old father in law to pick out his first electric guitar, for his birthday). It's not just the weight, though, it's the size, the irregular shape and the fact that the IIem drive and monitor are not nailed down in their cubbies. No amount of packing would prevent FedEx or UPS from destroying it.

    Honestly, I think the only way to ship it would be crating and freighting and the nearest place that does that is a 250 mile round trip from us. I guess, in a pinch, I could put it in a 30"x30"x30" double walled box and strap it to a crate, but that would use a lot of padding and be a lot of work.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    I've never weighed it, but I'll do so when I get a chance (probably not tomorrow, though - I'm taking my 70 year old father in law to pick out his first electric guitar, for his birthday). It's not just the weight, though, it's the size, the irregular shape and the fact that the IIem drive and monitor are not nailed down in their cubbies. No amount of packing would prevent FedEx or UPS from destroying it.

    Honestly, I think the only way to ship it would be crating and freighting and the nearest place that does that is a 250 mile round trip from us. I guess, in a pinch, I could put it in a 30"x30"x30" double walled box and strap it to a crate, but that would use a lot of padding and be a lot of work.
    You would be surprised at what I have had shipped via UPS. As long as you use the right packing material and, quite honestly, expect a little damage, you are okay The monitor and IIe need to be packed separately with cards removed and documented (before removal) but it is doable. Let me know. I, personally, would be interested depending on cost. I've had an IMSAI VDP-80, some Apple Lisas and a couple of IBM 5120s, among other things, shipped in the past. I am hazarding a guess that this is "light" in comparison It is definitely worth saving in it's current form.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    You would be surprised at what I have had shipped via UPS. As long as you use the right packing material and, quite honestly, expect a little damage, you are okay The monitor and IIe need to be packed separately with cards removed and documented (before removal) but it is doable. Let me know. I, personally, would be interested depending on cost. I've had an IMSAI VDP-80, some Apple Lisas and a couple of IBM 5120s, among other things, shipped in the past. I am hazarding a guess that this is "light" in comparison It is definitely worth saving in it's current form.
    I might be, but at work I ship stuff for a living and I don't think that this is a viable USPS, UPS or FedEx shipment. You'd be looking at at least three boxes, probably four. One of them would trigger FedEx's "Oversize 3" category, which adds a massive surcharge. Add all of that up and freight would likely be cheaper and safer. The USPS wouldn't even touch it - 31+30+30+30+30=151, which is over the 130" maximum for parcel select domestic, let alone international.

    That said, I'll look into it when I get a minute and see what I can figure out. Oh, and I haven't forgotten about that disk for the IBM 5110 that I promised you - I'm just backed up.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    That said, I'll look into it when I get a minute and see what I can figure out. Oh, and I haven't forgotten about that disk for the IBM 5110 that I promised you - I'm just backed up.
    I cant say much to that argument. Thanks for checking into it. And no worries about being backed up. I'm in the same boat as I am sure most of us here are. When is retirement coming?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •