Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung SPC-3000V not booting

Default Samsung SPC-3000V not booting

I was going around starting up some of my old pc's that had bios drum batteries to just charge them a litle and notice that the Samsung SPC-3000V refused to boot completely, no image nothing except i know that the gpu is getting Power cause the monitor Changes it's "hum" when i turn on the pc.

Tried so far.
    Removed cards
    Unplugged keyboard
    Tried another monitor
    Reseting socketed chips

Nothing has given any resault so far atleast.

Here's the pc on my museum page http://electricdreams.hopto.org/comp...current=2&s1=1

Quote Originally Posted by Elvi View Post
    I was going around starting up some of my old pc's that had bios drum batteries to just charge them a litle and notice that the Samsung SPC-3000V refused to boot completely, no image nothing except i know that the gpu is getting Power cause the monitor Changes it's "hum" when i turn on the pc.

Tried so far.
    Removed cards
    Unplugged keyboard
    Tried another monitor
    Reseting socketed chips

Nothing has given any resault so far atleast.

Here's the pc on my museum page http://electricdreams.hopto.org/comp...current=2&s1=1

It seems like a rather uncomplicated machine, so there's probably not too much going on with it. Have you verified that the battery didn't leak all over the motherboard? Do you hear any beeps, or drive / floppy activity... EVEN if you can't see anything?

Could it just be that the monitor has failed?

Battery isn't leaking and it was changed a few years ago, no beeps, no hdd or floppy activity accept for the usual self doings.

Tried another monitor, no image.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvi View Post
    Battery isn't leaking and it was changed a few years ago, no beeps, no hdd or floppy activity accept for the usual self doings.

Tried another monitor, no image.

Hmm... have you verified that the power supply is properly powering the motherboard? I assume the drive is spinning...

Do you have a spare AT power supply that you can hook up to it to test?

No i have not verified it and it's not a standard AT psu, instead of 2 plugs it has 1 long one with about 10 pins and yes the hdd spins up.

I have a few AT psu's laying around but i'm not sure they will work with this mobo.

Check voltages on the PSU with a multimeter for starters. Find a known ground, put negative terminal of the multimeter there, probe the other pins.

Voltage seems to be ok, at worst i've seen is 11.80v on 12v, every pin gives about the right amount, also checked the molexes for the floppy and hd drives.
    Thankfully there was a voltage diagram on the psu itself so testing was a brease, atleast something possitive

I had an extra videocard of the exact same type and it didn't show any signs either on the monitor except that the monitor shifted resolutions when i powered on the pc, same as with the old card and yes both cards work, tested in a 286 system with the same monitor.

Well i'm at my wits end with this computer, nothing i do changes anything.

The only things i've noticed is that with only the graphics card in and the hdd's card not being attach makes the hdd spin upp slower and sometimes also makes the floppy move a litle.
    The other thing is that the keyboard only lights up for a breaf second when i push the power button and that's it.

Also there is a 4 pin dip switch at the back ports, no idea whatsoever what that does.
    Removed the soldered new battery too just to make sure.

I realy hope some of you have any advice, it's the only pc i i've installed that tcp/ip stack thing to get it onto the net.

This thread has been sitting a while and there is no update on this particular pc i'm sorry to say, unless someone has any idea what possibly could have happend.

Just came across this thread. I recently came into a Samsung SPC-3000 that has been looted for parts. Basically all that remains is the case (no power supply), the "horizontal" part of the motherboard, and the "peripheral" card with the CPU. (A very interesting layout.) It was a working system when de-populated, but in its present state of undress I was going to recycle it. I would be willing to send it to you for postage--you could marry the two boxes into one hopefully robust unit and solve your problem that way.

The other thing I could suggest would be a diagnostic card. eBay is full of them for about $5 USD--sorry I don't know offhand what that translates to in Finland. I think they're pretty handy. Get one that has an ISA edge and a PCI edge. It will give you the POST error code that you can use to find out just what is happening, or not happening, with your system.

Good luck and let me know if I should hang on to that Samsung for you.
    Ian