Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compaq Portable Keyboard

Default Compaq Portable Keyboard

CPK.jpg

83 little Mylar disks, stuck to 83 rotting foam pads. !00 new foam disks with peel off adhesive on both sides from Deutschland via eBay.

Ugh. I hate working on keyboards.

Should there be some of you who have done this, and have advice and/or sympathy on offer, it will be appreciated

Consider it therapy Listen to a vintage computer podcast as I do when I rebuild Keytronic "foam and foil" keyboards.

I bought a dental set with a dental pick from the dollar store and it's great to get the old mylar disks out and to help lock them back in place. Clean the mylar disks as well as you can and I suggest you pull them all out, clean the disks and then vacuum the old foam dust out of the keyboard before sticking the new foam on and putting them back. Also give the keyboard PCB a wipe with alcohol while it is out.

It's actually not that bad. It's just tedious but that keyboard will work amazingly well when you're done.

Do you have a url for where you got them from? I will probably need some replacements sooner or later.

Thanks!

The eBay item is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-9000-...-/121266887970

These save the time of hunting down appropriate foam material, adhesive, and punching tools. The auction above also links to a video with some helpful comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvFcr03g-j0

These foam pads were used in many different Keytronic keyboards, including those used on the Apple Lisa and Compaq Portable.

Excellent. Thanks!!