Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intertec SuperBrain ROM Dumps

Default Intertec SuperBrain ROM Dumps

I was working with dmemphis today in an attempt to build adapters (and power circuitry) to read the 2716 EPROM from a SuperBrain. Additionally, we re-burned some "backups" to 28C16 EEPROMs and built the associated adapter to use these in a SuperBrain.

The ROMs we read seem to be previously unarchived. I have uploaded them to my website, but we intend to get these up on BitSavers, too.

Here are the links:
    http://retro.togeo.com/files/SuperBr...3%20VC8001.Bin
    This was from a SuperBrain and was labeled as 4.003 (and displays that version upon boot)

http://retro.togeo.com/files/SuperBrain%20QD%203_05.Bin
    This was from a SuperBrain QD and was most boringly just factory labeled with the "Intertec" logo and proved to be version 3.05

For comparison, the ROM image that is up on BitSavers at http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/interte...SuperBrain.bin is version 3.1 according to the boot prompt. We are not sure if this a QD ROM or not.

In another thread, user snuci posted a ROM that was very similar to our v4.003 above, differing by 3 bytes as-follows:
    Code:
    Comparing files SuperBrain 4_003 VC8001.Bin and SUPERBRAIN_TMS2716C.BIN
    000003F7: 55 56
    000003F8: 0C 0A
    000003F9: 08 07
    Thanks!

Just curious, did you guys get the SuperBrain running?

In short, yes we did have the SB functioning.

I have two, one regular and one QD.
    The regular one, which I bought as a parts machine actually works, I found recently.
    However, it is in rough shape and though the boot drive worked once I did not want to use the drives again
    without refurbishing them.
    My SB QD is currently disassembled so we could not use it but we could use its drives which I
    refurbished last year.

We proceeded take the known ROM images (from bitsavers, from snuci, and those we read from
    my two SBs) and successfully program them to 2816 EEPROMs.
    Then we tried all the EEPROMs in the working SB using an adapter socket EagleTG fashioned to run 2816 EEPROMs in the problematic TMS2716 sockets of the SBs. Results:

Snuci's 4.003 VA7001 image: WORKED. Seemed to work just like the 4.003 VC8001 EPROM that came with the SB.
    (As EagleTG noted, there are three bytes different between them)
    Image from my SB QD, internally identified as 3.05: DID NOT WORK. Printed a prompt then hung.
    BitSaver's image: internally identifed as 3.1: DID NOT WORK. Printed a prompt then hung.

Here is a successful bootup from floppy using the Snuci ROM:
    Before the drive door was closed: SB_Successful_Boot_4.003.jpg
    Drive door closed: Snuci_4_003_EPROM.jpg
    These are the screens from the versions that did not work:
    BitSaver Image: Bitsaver_3_1_EPROM.jpg
    My QD EPROM: MySBQD_3_05_EPROM.jpg

Summary:
    All the 2816 EEPROMS made from available images appear to be functional PROM media in the SB sockets.
    Snuci's ROM appears to function the same as the EPROM that came with the SB.
    My QD 3-.5 and the BitSaver's 3.1 EPROM image seem to function equivalently bad.
    Perhaps the BitSaver is in fact a QD ROM image, and a bit later revision than mine.
    Since my QD ROM did not function in the regular SB, ROMS between these two types are likely not interchangeable.

This was a significant push forward from where we were a few days ago. We did all this without destroying an
    existing original TMS2716 ROM and now have images and 2817 replacements for everything. We know what
    ROMs work in a standard SuperBrain. Soon I will be swapping some parts to my QD from the regular model, and then can try the 3.05 and 3.1 EEPROMs in the QD.

Next we have to try to locate some of the enhancement ROMs that were offered :O
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dmemphis; October 15th, 2016 at 02:07 PM.

Glad it helped, dmemphis!

I was able to get one of my two SuperBrains up but didn't have a good boot disk. Still working on that. I did have a successful boot and it turned out that both of my ROMs were good and identical (I had originally seen all 00s for one). My second SB powered up with flickering floppy drive lights for about 10 seconds, then the "magic smoke" started pouring out I need to find a schematic (haven't had a chance to look around yet) but I originally saw some blackness around three pins on one of the 4116 memory chips but when I went to take it out, it looks like a diode (?) blew as it crumbled when I got close to it.

I'll have to find out what the value of that is as it is unreadable.

SB bad component.jpg

snuci,
    From the photo you attached it appears that device is connected to Pin 1 of the 4116 Ram IC.
    Pin 1 Vbb -5 VDC
    Pin 8 Vdd +12 VDC
    Pin 9 Vcc +5 VDC
    Pin 16 Vss GND

My guess is that it is a Capacitor as the Intertec Schematic shows 6 Bypass Caps on the first row of RAM IC's,
    5 bypass caps on the next three rows of RAM IC's, and there are also 5 larger caps at RAM IC's
    Z7, Z15, Z23, and Z31 (Z31 has one below it also). The unmarked decoupling caps are noted to be 0.1uF caps.
    There are no diodes shown on the layout drawing around the area of the RAM IC's.
    The print is unclear as to the value of the larger caps over the RAM chips. The best thing would be to unsolder
    another one close to the blown one and measure it's value.

Larry

Your right. I was looking over the schematic on Bitsavers and it looks like it might be 10uF but it is blurry. At least I know the blurry markings are the same for each cap on that vertical row so I'll what you suggest.

By the way, I am not complaining. Blurry is better than nothing. I'm happy that the schematic is even there.

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.

Default SB QD Lives.

Finally after two years of it sitting around, and a year ago since I gave up on fixing the power supply,
    I have the Superbrain QD back together with pieces from the doner Superbrain.
    So I was able to test the 3.1 ROM image. As fate would have it, when I did the first power on
    with the original 3.05 ROM, I got NOTHIN. Oh No. It behaved like the ROM was dead.
    But fate was also kind: I put in the 3.1 Atmel 2817 EEPROM in the adapter, and it sprang to LIFE.
    Wouldn't you know my ROM would fail now? Bad handling? On the edge? We'll never know, but
    at least we have the image file and we can make copies if we think we need it.
    I neglected to make a 2816 EEPROM of the 3.05 image and EageTB has the burner.
    So figuring out if that image is good (it probably is, it looked good but all bets are off) will have to wait.
    But the 3.1 Image from bitsavers seems to be fine.
    Here's the machine finally back in its glory:
    IMG_1969.jpg
    Last edited by dmemphis; October 16th, 2016 at 06:37 AM.

Default Socket Adapter to run a 2816 EEPROM in TMS2716 socket

Default TMS2716 Read Adapter

Our adapter for reading a TMS2716 ROM in a more modern ROM programmer.
    5V is coverted to + & - 12v, then -12v is converted to -5v.
    TMS2716_Read_Adapter.jpg
    (Ground of regulator wasn't solder well... that's fixed now

Last night I overlooked a 2816 containing the image from my original QD rom, 3.05 VC8001.
    Good news, it works. So though my original QD ROM is non functional now, I know the ROM image is good.
    It appears to operate the same as the bitsaver 3.1 version in the QD.