Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CP/M Plus for Model II

Pete
    I just gave both images a quick spin on the Model II and all looks OK.
    HxC set as drives A & B
    Gazza

@Pete

I have try the two new images you supply.

Both images doesn't run on my Model II nor my Model 12.
    I have removed the Lo-tech adapter, but this makes no difference.

I have the old model FDC controller in the Model II.

I can see on the activity led on the Lo_Tech that the software is accessing the hard disk controller during boot
    but this is not a problem (see above).

With Mame64 no success.

Aaron, my MII has the later improved FDC
    I think here is the problem, like Aaron mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post
    @Pete

I have the old model FDC controller in the Model II.

I think here is the problem, like Aaron mentioned.
    Yes, but its not working on your Model 12 which should have no difference in the FDC from the 6000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Pete
    I just gave both images a quick spin on the Model II and all looks OK.
    HxC set as drives A & B
    Gazza
    thanks. Did you try the one in the archive just so we can be absolutely sure?

Rev B FDC here, looks like I'm scuppered.

No LoTech IDE drivers for this one, I fear! Unless someone else fancies a crack at it...

[Edited to add...]

CP/M Plus doesn't add much to 2.2 does it? A quick scan of the command summary indicates some date stamping of files, passwords, a (sort of) search path for SUBMIT files, new assembler, I/O redirection, some other bits & bobs?
    Last edited by JonB; November 8th, 2016 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Rev B FDC here, looks like I'm scuppered.

No LoTech IDE drivers for this one, I fear! Unless someone else fancies a crack at it...
    There is a late FDC on feeBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192020130084

"Does not ship to U.K."

Anyway, it should be solvable via software. I mean if CP/M 2.2 can boot, why not 3? Could just NOP out all those DMA resets. Or something..

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    thanks. Did you try the one in the archive just so we can be absolutely sure?
    I converted your IMD from
    https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...CPM/CPM%20Plus
    into an HFE and I also tried your HFE from
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/shc9nmiq4...ZKdvMn7oa?dl=0

Both files "seem" to be working OK. COPYDISK had no probs converting a blank HFE into an exact image.
    I can see on the display of the HxC that it writes to the image during booting so that can cause a prob if the card/disk is WP.

Gazza

It's not the DMA Resets that are the problem, but the 'Enable DMA before sending the read command to the FDC' in the boot code. I could find them all and patch, but finding them all in the BIOS - given that the one I found fairly easily in the BOOT code (a direct OUT (F8h), A) rather than indirect OUT (C), B or OTIR instruction that's likely to be in the BIOS - and re-arranging them so that the jumps and calls would still be in the same place in memory would not be trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by two/sixteen Magazine Iss 2.1 P3
    CP/M 3.0 (alias CP/M Plus)
    We've been hearing some unpleasant things about CP/M 3.0. For one thing, it looks like the leading vendors of CP/M for our machines (Pickles & Trout, Aton) are not going to produce 3.0 versions. Several authoritative sources have indicated that there are fatal or near-fatal problems with the product as applied to Models II/12/16. It appears that the RS version will not have bank-switching, and the TPA (transient program area, where application programs reside) will be limited to 48K. It is said that a TPA this small will not permit the running of most popular data base programs or spreadsheet programs, for example.

We understand that the RS version, being developed by a sub-contractor for Digital Research, will probably not be available until about September [1983]. (It was announced in January.)

All this is rather disconcerting, as we had been looking forward to the time-and-date file directory attributes. It would be nice if Digital Research would simply produce a 2.2 version of CP/M which added only the time-and-date features.
    As for non-booting on a Model 12, RS changed the signals with the mainboard design, which carried over to the early 16Bs. RS 'refined' the z80 ram paging, allowing both upper and lower 32k pages to be swapped in, in part because they wanted the 12 to work with CP/M Plus banked version. This is what caused the major hold-up with this release.

Quote Originally Posted by two/sixteen Magazine Iss 3.1 P3
    CP/M Plus (aka CP/M 3.0) is finally available [May 1984] (15 months after its announcement) for the Model 12. It's said to require ROM replacement to bank switch.
    I'd dearly love to see the banked version, just to see how horribly convoluted the codebase is there.

RS made more even more changes to the later 16B and 6000 mainboards, incorporating the RevC FDC. Maybe that's why it runs on Pete's 6000. I'll have to check the 6000 schematic to be sure - anyone have any Model 12, 16B or 6000 ROM Dumps?

Aaron
    Last edited by AaronBrockbank; November 9th, 2016 at 02:06 AM. Reason: grammar

@Pete, Aaron, JonB

Just to prove it.
    After putting a late design PCB in my, further unmodified, Model II, I could run CP/M Plus (3.0) without problems.