Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba T-300 / Pasopia 16 MS-DOS version

I believe this machine is non IBM-PC hardware compatible, and requires the OEM's machine-specific port of MS-DOS in order to operate. At a glance, I don't see any disk images for this system preserved anywhere.

In other words, I don't believe normal MS-DOS will boot at all on this machine.

That said, some quad-density systems might be aware of 360K disks. For example my Eagle 1600 has a Quad Density drive, but the BIOS is programed to double step and can even boot vanilla MS-DOS with the caveat that vanilla MS-DOS has no idea how to use the quad density formats on this machine.

In theory, a generic XT or clone could use a Quad Density drive (5.25" 300 RPM 96TPI) as a 720k drive, but it would behave like a 3.5" 720k drive, and would probably have no idea how to read or write 360k disks. In that case, one would simply find a 3.5" 720k disk image and write it using ImageDisk to double-sided double-density 5.25" media in a 1.2mb drive while setting "double-step" to off, and translating "250 BPS" to "300 BPS".

Yes, as mentioned in post #8 the T300 requires an incompatible 650K (*not* 720K) diskette to boot and like your Eagle can also use (but not boot from) MS-DOS format 160 or 320K diskettes.

In theory you should indeed be able to use ImageDisk with a 1.2MB HD drive by adjusting the transfer rate to compensate for the different speed, and using a format program that allows 8 512B sectors/track. In practice it might take some fiddling...

To the OP: what make/model 5.25HD drive(s) do you have available? Some drives permit setting the speed to 300RPM which makes them directly compatible with a 96TPI DD (QD) drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    the T300 requires an incompatible 650K (*not* 720K) diskette to boot
    Using vanilla MS-DOS system files?

Yes, as mentioned in post #8 the T300 requires an incompatible 650K (*not* 720K) diskette to boot and like your Eagle can also use (but not boot from) MS-DOS format 160 or 320K diskettes.

In theory you should indeed be able to use ImageDisk with a 1.2MB HD drive by adjusting the transfer rate to compensate for the different speed, and using a format program that allows 8 512B sectors/track. In practice it might take some fiddling...

To the OP: what make/model 5.25HD drive(s) do you have available? Some drives permit setting the speed to 300RPM which makes them directly compatible with a 96TPI DD (QD) drive.
    It's a Chinon FR-506 REV B

Also interesting to note, I formatted an 80 track 8 sector disk with fat 12 using a program called nformat, then used sys.com to copy the system files for dos. I tried the 3.3, 4.01, and 6.22 ms-dos that are commonly available, but I recieved the exact same result as before with the 360k and 320k formats, instead of the load error I get with HD formatted disks.

also i'm interested in a copy of that system disk you have, if you get time you can pm me with the details.

It's a CHINON FR-506 rev b, i'll look up to see if it has that particular setting.

Also of note is that I've managed to format a disk with 80 tracks and 8 sectors and a fat 12 filesystem with a program called nformat. After adding various versions of ms-dos I got the exact same results as when I used 320 and 360k disks.
    Last edited by cperric; November 11th, 2016 at 03:31 PM.

No need to apologize, they're very good questions. I think I'll have to do a little research myself; ISTR that I made some 5.25 QD disks on a PC long ago, but they might have been 720K instead of 640.

Worst case, assuming my T300 still works I could try copying the system disk and mailing it; I suppose you might be interested in the manuals as well?

I hope Chuck (G) will see this thread and have some ideas; no one knows more about floppy disk formats IMO.

m
    I'm interested if you can make a copy. manuals as well