Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsure what i have ?? Please help ??

The Pentium 66 Gateway system is somewhat collectable as it is a name OEM and the fastest first Pentium introduced. Some of the topped out 486-100 systems were faster for most things except floating point, which the Pentium did much better. It would be a good Windows 95 machine, or a good Novell/Windows NT 3.51 server, if you wanted to keep things about the era it was built. OS/2 would also run nicely on it.

Blog Entries

It is a nice collection. Both systems are close to fully loaded for their time period so should be desirable. Please consider trying to sell them as complete systems. Shipping will be expensive.

If you part it out, a combo drive often sells for $50 to 100; the 5.25" drive will be less; most of the cards and hard drives seem fairly standard so offering them for maybe $10 to $20 could be a good starting point. The internal modem cards have no value and 3.5" floppy drives are still quite cheap. Cards and drives need careful packaging to arrive in a working state. You may get more money selling off parts but you will be putting in a lot more effort to do it.

From the photos, the generic AT case seems to be in decent condition. Is that a CMOS battery pack attached sitting in the bottom of the case? I can't see the entire motherboard but it looks like has no on-board battery, and that is a major plus as it looks like there has been no battery damage to the motherboard. I also see the words "California USA". I'd try and get the part number for this board if it has one printed on it. Is that a 486 board?

The video card is an ET4000 based Diamond Speedstar ISA card. That is a good card.

As I mentioned these clones ranged from budget to gaming, and I'd call this one more of a "business" class, somewhere in between.

It would be best to try to sell this one whole. I think there would be a good amount of interest in this, specifically because of the case.

Because these literally have no name it is hard to search eBay, but glancing at eBay sold prices for similar items seem to be all over the place ranging around $50 to $200. Given the pluses, perhaps ~$150+SH? Perhaps a bit higher if it cleans up really well and is shown to work.

You did not show pictures of the back of the Gateways case, but those cards look like they have some corrosion on them. I don't see any sold towers but Gateway 2000 desktops seem to also sell around $150, sometimes more if they are in really good condition. Whole would be better, but if there is a lot of visible external corrosion, it might need to be broken down.

If you list them on eBay, you probably want to decide how much you want for them and list as "buy it now".

All "clone" machines had locks for a long time. The lock disables the keyboard. The idea being that you could run a UNIX server and disallow local console abuse.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    All "clone" machines had locks for a long time. The lock disables the keyboard. The idea being that you could run a UNIX server and disallow local console abuse.
    On some cases the lock would also prevent you from opening the case. Presumably to avoid unauthorised personnel from tampering with the hardware, or to prevent theft.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich215 View Post
    Here is the Modem with the Genson marking on it.
    Would that be... the mother modem? *ba dum tss* (sorry for swedish inside joke)

Seriously though, that looks like a very nice, complete system. It would be a shame to part it out.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    On some cases the lock would also prevent you from opening the case. Presumably to avoid unauthorised personnel from tampering with the hardware, or to prevent theft.
    After some thought, did not the 5170 come with a case lock that both locked the case shut and disabled the keyboard? If so, that's why all the clones had them.

Blog Entries

Yes. There were also variations on this. For example, I have a MAD Intelligent Systems case with a single keylock--one position is power off and case removal (there's a cam that engages the front panel to lock the case on), the next position is on, but locked--keyboard disabled, the third position is normal run and the fifth is a momentary contact for reset. Very clvever, but woe betide you if you loose the keys!

9. Default

I hope you have original packaging for the systems or increase your price enough to permit adequate protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Yes. There were also variations on this. For example, I have a MAD Intelligent Systems case with a single keylock--one position is power off and case removal (there's a cam that engages the front panel to lock the case on), the next position is on, but locked--keyboard disabled, the third position is normal run and the fifth is a momentary contact for reset. Very clvever, but woe betide you if you loose the keys!
    Oh I know! When this happened to me, I thought the keys would be pretty generic. Not so, at least not in my case. And no locksmith that I called would touch it, being a big, scary, powered-on computer. Fortunately, the key turned up eventually. I was getting close to using cutting tools.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast