Image Map Image Map

Thread: Programming typematic delay/repeat on XT Keyboard

Default Programming typematic delay/repeat on XT Keyboard

Is it possible to set the typematic delay / repeat values on an XT system?

I've been searching around for a while and haven't found an answer to this except for a mention by Raymond Chen: The XT keyboard did not have a configurable autorepeat as far as I can tell.

For AT, PS/2 and even PCjr one can use INT 16h/03. What's weird about the PCjr one is that there's no ability to set specific amounts but you can increase or decrease them. I have a side curiosity about this: what happens when you reach the limit, does it wrap around or just stop increasing/decreasing?
    Last edited by neilobremski; December 19th, 2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Corrected misspelling of "Raymond"; sorry about that, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by neilobremski View Post
    Is it possible to set the typematic delay / repeat values on an XT system?

I've been searching around for a while and haven't found an answer to this except for a mention by Raymond Chen: The XT keyboard did not have a configurable autorepeat as far as I can tell.
    It wasn't implemented in the hardware or the BIOS but it was possible to write a TSR to intercept the keyboard's press/release codes and generate characters as often or infrequently as you like (at least in software that didn't do its own reprogramming of the keyboard interrupt). I used one called QKRP.COM that I think I got from a magazine cover disk. I've uploaded it here. I don't remember the details of its parameters, but if it's compatible with the AT version then invoking "qkrp s 1" might be the way to set it to its fastest speed.

Quote Originally Posted by neilobremski View Post
    What's weird about the PCjr one is that there's no ability to set specific amounts but you can increase or decrease them. I have a side curiosity about this: what happens when you reach the limit, does it wrap around or just stop increasing/decreasing?
    I just looked at the PCjr BIOS listing, and it looks like it doesn't increase in the sense of changing by some delta, it increases in the sense of going into an "increased mode". Setting it twice is the same as setting it once. So there are just 5 different typematic settings: 0 (default), 1 (longer initial delay), 2 (slower rate), 3 (both longer initial delay and slower rate) and 4 (disable typematic completely).

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What about using the MODE command?
    Does that work on XT keyboards? I have a feeling it's AT only.

I have a feeling you are correct.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.