Image Map Image Map

Thread: Atari 1050 drive belt

Default Atari 1050 drive belt

The drive belt just failed on a 1050 drive I have, and I am trying to find out what size it is. I've googled it different ways and can't find a useful answer. From what I have found out there's two different drives types, mine is a World Storage unit inside.
    There's places that sell belts locally, so I just need to know what size to get. I've tried measuring failed belt in the past with less then wonderful results, so I want to go exact if I can..
    ///
    TRS-80: Model 1 w/IE, Model 4 w/128K, PC4
    Atari 800 and 800XL

By 'failed' I assume you mean snapped?

Most drive belts are sold with their size given as the diameter of the circle they form when laid on a flat surface, in millimetres

Step 1: Lay the snapped belt out in a straight line and measure its length, which was also its circumference when it was still a complete circle.

Step 2: Calculate the diameter of the belt using the formula "diameter in millimeteres is equal to (circumference in millimeteres divided by 3.14)"

Step 3: The belt had probably stretched / loosened a little bit before it snapped, so reduce the calculated diameter by a further 5 percent

Step 4: Order a belt with the calculated / reduced diameter, making sure that it also has the correct cross sectional shape, which may be round, or square, or flat. Try also to get one which is about the same thickness if it is a round or square belt, or the same width if it is a flat belt.

If none of the above makes sense, Best Electronics in California is the go-to place for original Atari spare parts if you are in the USA / Canada. You may be able to source the exact belt by making an enquiry to them including the specific information you included in your original post above.
    Last edited by SiriusHardware; January 3rd, 2017 at 03:08 PM.

By failed, I mean it has no discernible stretch in it and it simply slips of the pulley. So it's still a loop.

The odd part is I seem to get a different measurement every time i have tried. I use a caliper at the electronics store and got 17.5mm, on my caliper I get 17.3mm, on rulers I get another reading that I seem to have forgotten at the moment, I'm going to blame the flu I'm getting over for the memory loss..

I did email Best for a shipping quote, but they replied saying they have a $20 minimum order and never did give me a shipping price. So I never followed up on that. I put a fat rubber band in the drive and it seems to work ok. My main focus in my TRS-80's right now, so I'm in no hurry to get a new belt if the rubber band holds..
    ///
    TRS-80: Model 1 w/IE, Model 4 w/128K, PC4
    Atari 800 and 800XL

One possible reason for the original belt derailing is if the thing (flywheel?) it is trying to drive is a little bit stiff, not turning as freely as it should.

I share your pain re: Best's 'minimum order' policy - I needed something that only they seem to have - wasn't expensive but I had to buy a few more things I really didn't need or could have bought cheaper elsewhere just to meet the minimum order.