Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C compiler for the PDP-11? pdp-11 compilers in general

There was also a Small-C v2.0 written by James E. (not Jimmy) Hendrix and also originally published in Dr. Dobbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small-C

https://www.amazon.com/Small-C-Compi.../dp/1558511245
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

Hi All;

Bitly, that is the One that I have been Looking for, for Years !!! THANK YOU !!

Yes, DDS, that one I have as well..

The one Linked by Bitly, is the one that I have been thinking about that has both 8080 and PDP 11 Code..

I am going to take a closer Look at it Now..

Yes, it has Both 8080 code and About Installing it on Your 8080 Machine..
    And PDP 11 code to be combined with and Existing DEC Operating System for use on a DEC based System..

THANK YOU Marty
    Last edited by Marty; February 21st, 2017 at 06:11 AM.

Back in what sometimes seems like another life, before marriage and two wonderful kids, I wanted a C compiler to run under H-DOS on my H89. Pickings were rather slim and also rather pricey IIRC. So I seized on another route. I typed the entire Small-C compiler source and the run time library into an account I had weaseled on a PDP11/70 at one of our computer centers. After many hours cleaning up typo's and so forth I had a cross compiler that would run under Unix v5 and emit 8080 assembler code. It required a few more tweaks to emit syntax that the HDOS assembler liked. Then I created some "hooks" in the run time library to call HDOS functions, used my new cross compiler to compile itself, and long story short, had Small C v2.0 up and running on my H89. What I've described here in a few lines required months of spare time tinkering but it worked. And I was quite surprised when it did.
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

All this info is great, guys! When I get time to power up the beast again it'll be interesting trying things out!

Current systems: PDP11/23, ZX-spectrum, MEK-6802D5, Ampex 210 CRT terminal, ZX-spectrum
    Current projects: 8085 Altair 8800 compatible
    Looking for: DEC RX-50 drive, QBUS ROM card, intel 8288

Quote Originally Posted by Bitly View Post
    Do you mean this:

TinyC-OwnersManual-1.pdf
    This page has a .zip which appears to include source files for Tiny-C also, presumably OCR'd from the manual.

tiny-c for the PC

CW

Hi All;

Bitly, Thank You for the Links..

"" "Learning C with tiny-c" by Scott Guthery, published in 1985 by TAB BOOKS, Inc. documents the tiny-c PC language. It has been scanned and is available at Learning C with tiny-c and Appendices. The interpreter is a very interesting and complex set of modules which will be of interest to students who want to learn about interpreter and compiler design. ""

I have that TAB book, but it didn't come with a Disk, so I am Happy to now have the files/programs for this IBM/PC Version of Tiny C..
    So, now there is a choice of 8080, PDP 11, PC(8088), and Linux for Tiny C..

THANK YOU Marty
    Last edited by Marty; February 23rd, 2017 at 01:47 PM.

Okay, to compile anything for the PDP-11, I think I'll try Diane Niesius's approach, building a GCC that cross compiles for the PDP-11. I have no experience with linux, though, and I'm not really sure what she's doing in her instructions, that might take a bit trial and error..

Current systems: PDP11/23, ZX-spectrum, MEK-6802D5, Ampex 210 CRT terminal, ZX-spectrum

After trying to comprehend GCC cross-compiler building for a couple of days, I've come to the realization that some prior knowledge of unix-based systems would have been helpful.. Does someone have a handy step-by-step guide for GCC crosscompiler building, or maybe a non-CLI tool that can do it?

thanks in advance!