Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seen: AT&T 6300 Mouse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alejack12001 View Post
    Sorry, I guess my intention to prevent use of the user’s ID was not very good with regard to "YouTube AT&T Upgrader."
    Next time you're referring to something, might be helpful to provide a link. I'd like to see this youtube video you speak of.

I have the Paradise PVGA1A VGA card in my machine and I noticed that the menu for video was limited to CGA, EGA and the AT&T 6300 video. So, based on a guess would the better choice for me be the EGA since I don't have the AT&T video card operational? I'd have to try different EGA ones offered as I wouldn't know which would work in my instance.
    Yes, EGA would be better for your setup.

I have already version LIM EMS 4.0 on the Boca. I need to learn how to implement EEMS to better use the added RAM.
    No, LIM EMS 4.0 is best. Don't worry about EEMS, it's an older standard. I only mention it because the only 16-bit memory board for the M24 is an EEMS 3.2 board. You can add EMS 4.0 boards (as you've done) but it's only an 8-bit slot/access so the memory speed is less than main memory.

BUFFERS=10
    That's low and might be affecting disk performance. Ideally it should be the number of sectors per track, but 20 is a good low number.

I have an address issue as the Perstor HD controller load from c800:CA00.
    I think you mean C800 to CA00. C800:CA00 is an address (and invalid).

If I correct the pin issue on the VGA cable and disable the QRAM then will that allow me to load Windows 3.0 or not? Please advise.
    It should, yes. But like I said, it's not a very enjoyable experience; even when it's not hitting the hard drive, it's pretty slow. But, if your EMS board shows up (use Help->About in Program Manager to check), then you should be able to run some Windows 3.0 apps other than what Win 3.0 comes with.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

You said MSDOS 3.x and storage size of less than 32 MB. I am using MSDOS 6.22. I can use fdisk to set a partition at 30 MB if that is required. However, if you recall from another post, I have the Paradise PVGA1A VGA card in my machine and I noticed that the menu for video was limited to CGA, EGA and the AT&T 6300 video. So, based on a guess would the better choice for me be the EGA since I don't have the AT&T video card operational? I'd have to try different EGA ones offered as I wouldn't know which would work in my instance.
    If you have the VGA card plugged in you definitely cannot use AT&T video with *either* version of Windows. Generic EGA drivers should work fine on a VGA card.

That said, I think you might have bigger problems than just the partition size with Windows 1.x. Running Windows 2.x, at least, requires setting some values with SETVER to run on DOS 5.0 and later, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if at the very least you might have to do that if you plan to run it on MS-DOS 6.22.

(Honestly I don't know what use Windows 1.x is outside of trying it for historical interest. There were a *few* semi-decent programs that might run "okay" on a 6300 targeting Windows 2.x, but there was very little for 1.x.)

The temp directory is a good idea and I'll give that a try if I could get the other problems resolved. I have Boca 2MB RAM XT card in the machine and I have QRAM version 1.01. I, too, can only standup 64 KB of added RAM on the system. I have already version LIM EMS 4.0 on the Boca. I need to learn how to implement EEMS to better use the added RAM.
    I'm a little confused about what you're doing with the BOCA card. Are you using it in conjunction with QRAM to give you 64k of upper memory instead of providing EMS, or does that card support mapping additional memory outside the page frame? (Some quick googling indicates that "/FL=0" is the command to disable the page frame.) I was under the impression those cards didn't have mappers capable of that because the Lo-Tech EMS card supposedly uses a modified version of their driver, and it definitely doesn't, so... I dunno, if you *really* want to try to run Windows 3.0 you might be better off *not* trying to load stuff high, and instead just let Windows use the EMS memory. However, in either case it's probably going to be cramped enough to be of *very* little practical use.

Unless your card *is* capable of EEMS/LIM4.0 memory remapping and QRAM is actually doing that, which I see no evidence of, there's not going to be any kind of magical conflict pop up with your storage device ROM at C800.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    No, LIM EMS 4.0 is best. Don't worry about EEMS, it's an older standard. I only mention it because the only 16-bit memory board for the M24 is an EEMS 3.2 board.
    I'm curious about this M24 board. Most manufacturers released LIM 4.0 compatible drivers for their EEMS cards after the standard was ratified. (For the most part LIM 4.0, at least the special sauce parts of it, *are* EEMS, and of course they made the standard so broad and so many elements optional that even hardware 3.2 cards could get "EMS 4" drivers that, well, are kind of missing the point.) Is the board for the M24 based on some other board that may have gotten a compliant driver, and maybe there's a slim chance it'd work on it too?

Blog Entries

It's effectively an AST EEMS board but adapted to the 16-bit slots of the M24, which are not the same as regular 16-bit slots. Thanks to the 16-bit interface, the speed of accessing the memory on the board is the same speed as accessing the 640K on the motherboard. ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/A...emory%20Board/ is everything I've dumped and scanned about the board. It was marketed primarily as an extended memory board for the 6300 Plus (a 286 meant for running unix+dos) and the documentation spends slightly more ink on that purpose rather than DOS+EMS.

As for an updated driver, I tried, but none of the updated drivers support this specific board (they either do nothing or lock up). So I'm stuck with the EEMS 3.2 driver it came with.

Note: It took me 25+ years to find this board. They're not common!
    Last edited by Trixter; September 21st, 2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I wonder if it’d be trivially possible to hack the existing drivers to return a different version ID and otherwise fake it into acting like an EMS 4.0 driver.

Blog Entries

I'm not a proponent of that since I don't know what the host software will ask of the driver. I know that Win 3.0 probes into upper memory, because if I map some there, it locks up. So who knows if it actually attempts remapping features.

Either way, I find Windows 3.x unusable on anything lower than a 286, so I've already uninstalled it from that system and won't be pursuing it further.
    Offering a bounty for:

7. Default

Link for both AT&T 6300 videos were posted on YouTube by lambda84: First link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqSyNAMNFo is his initial video. It is quite long as there is a lot of changes that were imposed. The changes like the XT CF and the GoTek didn't work on my machine. Second link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOqDJ6NP5U is how he connects AT&T to the Internet.

I bought my Boca XT RAM card a few months ago. I received software in terms of sys files for EMM and disk with a ram drive, print spooler, a test, and status exe files. I didn't receive a manual on how to implement the XT RAM card. I have searched the web for a manual without success. I know one exists since there is there is a bocaram.doc supplement included with the software mentioned. The supplement refers to the BOCARAM/XT manual. The QRAM, I've had for years. I have documentation with it along with the software. I know the FL or frame length is a key part of QRAM in assigning the EMS RAM. It was lambda84 use of the FL=0 that lead me to assign that value. Along with the first video I mentioned above, he posts his config.sys and autoexec.bat where the assignment is shown. Learning from you all on how EMS is assigned is quite helpful for me. I thank you for the information you rendered.

I can try the Windows 1 again with the adjustments or try Windows 2 just for comparison.

If anyone is interested there is a AT&T 6300 machine on eBay for $95. It doesn't have the keyboard or monitor though. His shipping is a little high at $28.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I know that Win 3.0 probes into upper memory, because if I map some there, it locks up. So who knows if it actually attempts remapping features.
    Is that with the AT&T SuperCGA video driver? I ask that specifically because although I haven't tried 3.0 I did discover 2.11 would hang on startup on my Tandy 1000 HX if I had UMBs enabled with the 4 color Tandy-specific driver. Would start fine with the plain CGA driver, and also works with a VGA card plugged in.

Blog Entries

I received software in terms of sys files for EMM and disk with a ram drive, print spooler, a test, and status exe files. I didn't receive a manual on how to implement the XT RAM card. I have searched the web for a manual without success. I know one exists since there is there is a bocaram.doc supplement included with the software mentioned. The supplement refers to the BOCARAM/XT manual.
    Is your Bocaram XT card installed and set up, and loading the driver that provides EMS memory? QRAM is a secondary piece of software that can create upper memory areas if you have a working EMS card and driver. You need the EMS card and driver before even touching QRAM.

The settings for a Bocaram XT card are here: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/memory-...OCARAM-XT.html

QRAM is not necessary for running Windows 2.x or 3.x. QRAM is for creating upper memory areas to load TSRs and other small resident files into. I would uninstall QRAM unless you understand what it is used for and have a specific application for it (for example, less than 550KB free DOS RAM at the DOS prompt).

If anyone is interested there is a AT&T 6300 machine on eBay for $95. It doesn't have the keyboard or monitor though. His shipping is a little high at $28.
    Always provide links. While are only two 6300s on ebay right now, that changes all the time, and the shipping cost is different for everyone, so there's usually no way to tell what auction you are referring to by your description. Always provide links to youtube, ebay, etc. when you reference something specific on those sites.

If this is the auction you meant, it is a high price for an untested unit with so much rust damage.
    Offering a bounty for:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Is that with the AT&T SuperCGA video driver?
    Yes. I suppose I could have tried a configuration with everything excluded and A000-B7FF explicitly included so that I could still get QRAM's benefit of extended DOS RAM, and see if that worked, but I don't plan on trying Windows 3.0 on a sub-286 system in the future unless I have > 40MB free space and an EMS 4.0 board/driver.
    Offering a bounty for: