Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5160 - Stripdown Cleanup and Repair.

Default IBM 5160 - Stripdown Cleanup and Repair.

So I have a recent acquisition of 5160 With 5154 Colour Monitor, purchased from ebay both items from the same seller both advertised as dead and not working.

This one was born on 5th December 1984, in Scotland UK.

I did not try powering this on as it was quite dirty inside, it had been shipped with polystyrene around it but I was lucky and landed in perfect condition, I decided to strip it down and then rebuild it before trying it, on the way checking things for obvious issues.

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1558.jpg

I decided to recap the PSU, the RIFA's were cracked although not blown, I noticed a purposely cut track on the PCB, anyone know why this was done ?

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

After everything was clean I put it back together, I think its cleaned up very nicely

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

The HDD was not parked, I wonder if it will be ok?

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1580.jpg

I tried to turn it on but it did not work, I noticed the fan turned slightly which was a good sign. I stripped it back down to motherboard only and it started, after a little more fiddling I realised the FDD was the problem. With a multimeter set on ohms, I found the 12v rail was shorted to earth, a quick traceback found a 4.7uf 16v tantalum capacitor sitting at position C43 that was short, I filled the gap with a 4.7uf very low ESR Panasonic FC series capacitor.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Once done without the CGA/Parallel card installed the machine gave post beeps a great sign. I rebuilt the rest of the unit to await further testing once I have a keyboard and a display.

Here are the ISA cards that were installed (I forgot to photo the HDD controller) :

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1585-1.jpg

Now onto the monitor next, it is a 5154002 - the PSU is just doing a high pitched noise and no HT.... I took a brief look but they really didn't want and components to escape its in a serious metal cage, its going to take some getting at.

So I am guessing the PSU either has a fault or the HT circuit has a short and the PSU is shutting down as soon as it tries to start, either way I am guessing there will be a few components in that PSU that will need to be replaced due to age.

Well after a cup of tea and some egg sandwiches curiosity won !

I opened her up and removed the PSU, its riveted together so have to take a trip to the garden workshop and drill them out, the PSU although looking hot in a few places did not look too bad.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

The pulsing I had heard is common with an overload so I took to the PCB with the ohm meter and checked the capacitors, not one but 2 had a direct short, both the same cap, C25 & C27 1000uf 25v. I will do a blanket change of caps before I try this unit again, I am missing 2 caps from what I have in stock so it will have to wait till next week. So thats 3 items for repair I have waiting for parts, reminds me of running a repair shop again !

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.JPG

Very nice, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    ... it had been shipped with polystyrene around it but I was lucky and landed in perfect condition...
    Out of interest, what's the problem with expanded polystyrene (or Styrofoam)? Many people consider it a very useful cushioning material for heavier, denser items.

For 5154's its a good idea to replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.
    Looking at your pictures it appears some of the capacitors may have already been replaced.

It may also be a good idea to replace the mains X2 capacitors as these are known for
    blowing and causing a lot of smoke.

EDIT: The attached picture shows one PS I repaired awhile back, some of the capacitors look different, that's why
    I mentioned some of yours appear to have been replaced.

PSmarkup.jpg
    Last edited by mikey99; January 8th, 2017 at 08:11 AM.

If there isn't one already, would it be possible to do up a parts list for which capacitors are needed for a full replacement? I also have a 5154 which from quick testing appears to be in fully working condition but I was contemplating a full recap anyway just to be on the safe side.

Great to see another fine machine slowly getting back up and running.
    AtariPC.net
    Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
    If there isn't one already, would it be possible to do up a parts list for which capacitors are needed for a full replacement? I also have a 5154 which from quick testing appears to be in fully working condition but I was contemplating a full recap anyway just to be on the safe side.

I second that, as I'd like to recap my 5154 as well. It'd be nice to have a list of needed caps to order before I take the thing apart.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post

That would be amazing. I would also like to recap my 5154.
    I have a Major in Post-Apocalyptic Economics.
    Wanted: Any PC-Compatible Reciprocation Dingle Arm

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I second that, as I'd like to recap my 5154 as well. It'd be nice to have a list of needed caps to order before I take the thing apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by offensive_Jerk View Post
    That would be amazing. I would also like to recap my 5154.
    Be aware Clint's 5154 has a Model Number of 5154002, I believe the 5154 had Model numbers of 5154 / 5154001 / 5154002 / 5154003 as the 5153 did. The 5154 being the 120V model only. So probably best to check your own PSU's.

If you have a picture of your PSU can you post it along with the Model Number.

The PSU posted above by Mikey 99 looks identical to mine, what is that from ? and what voltage ?

If anyone is in the UK and wants a set of Panasonic EE, FC & X2 caps I can do 2 sets at cost from Farnell.

I will make a full list as I go through the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    If you have a picture of your PSU can you post it along with the Model Number.
    I don't have any pictures, It's been a long time since i re-capped the PSU in my 5154002

The PSU posted above by Mikey 99 looks identical to mine, what is that from ? and what voltage ?
    Looks similar, I'd guess a 120V model ?

I also seem to remember having seen at least 2 different manufactures of PSU, But it's been so long i can't remember what model, 5153 or 5154.