Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reccomend me a good VLB video card for my system

I have the Mach 64 in my 486 -133 system, and it does well. I do have intermittent problems with some EGA games: Palette is messed up on some old Apogee games, but not consistently; boot up another day and its fine. Never figured it out. DOOM is very smooth, and Descent was quite playable. When I was a kid I suffered through Tomb Raider on a 486-100; I haven't actually tried it on my current 486-133 setup, I'll have to try it and report back. But, these games really want Pentiums. Terminal Velocity does surprisingly well on a 486. All these games I mentioned, I usually play on my k6-2, which is much better suited to them, IMO, and came out in 98. The k6-2 is fast enough, a win98 build of DOSBOX plays at 286 speed, perfect for EGA games like Crystal Caves, and I can still get by on the later 90's games like Quake 3. When I think 90's gaming, I think Super Socket 7, not 486.

Now I feel like I have to test all the above I mentioned out on my current 486 to see how it works. I'm probably spoiled by newer computers now and will conclude they are all unplayable slideshows

For a 486, the best games are 2D dos games like Jazz Jackrabbit, and simple 3d like Rise of the Triad, DOOM, etc.
    -------------------------------------
    [CAT-644 Homebrew Computer] [Other dumb projects]

I have an S3 809 in my 486 DX2-66 box. Works great, just upgraded the SRAM from 1MB to 2MB Recently actually and I see quite an improvement. I've been using that card for about eight years now without fail save for one or two times it got jarred loose in transit (VLB Cards can be pesky like that, especially when in an older AT style case from my experience).

It does have some hiccups though, 1024X768 @256 on a LCD monitor won't work probably because it's an interlaced mode. I did try to run GTA in DOS on this thing and it failed to load the graphics properly as well. No CGA Palette issues though or anything like that. Just a handful of things make it spit out inaproprate video modes for a modern day 1X1 Aespect NEC SyncMaster 1280X1024 pixel LCD.

S3 805 cards might support 1024x768 and 1280x1024 (slowly) in non-interlaced modes if they are equipped with the appropriate RAMDACs.
    Normally the 2MB upgrade won't impact Windows performance (only provide higher colour depths, resolutions) unless you have the 805i model.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

I expect my 486 to run sluggish on later games. I'm the kind of gamer that does not mind if they are playing on high game settings or not. The simple joy of having the game actually running is more than enough for me.

Blog Entries

Most VLB cards were geared towards Windows acceleration and not gaming.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

My S3 Diamond Stealth 24 VLB came in the mail yesterday. I'll build up my system once I order and receive my Am5x86 P75 in a few weeks. I'll see what I think of my VLB card and later upgrade to a high end model if I want, then put the first card in a pure DOS system.

s3vlb1mb.jpg
    It has chip slots to upgrade the VRAM to 2MB total.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Most VLB cards were geared towards Windows acceleration and not gaming.
    I've had no trouble with ordinary ISA graphics in Windows 95, as long as they had a stable driver. I didn’t mind being limited to 256 colors, cause most of the games back then were 256 colors.

Does "Windows acceleration" mean having support for true color modes?

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Does "Windows acceleration" mean having support for true color modes?
    No. There were ISA cards with acceleration, but without 24bpp modes.
    In fact, the original accelerated card, ie. IBM 8514/A only supported 8bpp modes.
    For VLB, I think all cards already support 24bpp.

Blog Entries

Windows acceleration was just for drawing lines and scrolling. On old video cards just moving around a spreadsheet was a huge jerky experience. It wasn't until the PCI era I think that 2D screen redraws were as fast as noticeable, then we had the 3D race.

True color modes were also an issue with higher resolution, very few video cards could accelerate 24 bit in the VLB era with greater then 1024x768 resolution.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Sluggish 2D performance? That's laughable... just sayin.