Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lookee what I found for the best price in the world (NEC MultiSync II)....

Default Lookee what I found for the best price in the world (NEC MultiSync II)....

Had another "Find of the Century" moment......

Went to this little hole in the wall computer surplus shop near where I work downtown. I decided to go there and see if they had any parts I needed, they did have quite a few things for some future stuff, but nothing I have an immediate want/need for. Then I found this......

1988 NEC MultiSync II JC-1402HMA 14" CRT

After finding a 486 in it's original configuration which the owner was sentimental about and had it sitting amongst for-sale stuff for god only knows what reason, I asked him "how much" for the monitor - he gave me the best price in the world - FREE!

It does work but it's going to need some repairs to the input board because the DB-9 connector is flaky. I can't get it to get rid of the colored hues depending on cable position, tried 2 cables, so the problem is definatley the DB-9, but reflowing/resoldering it 2-3 times now and little improvement other than a stable image has me thinking I will probalby need to desolder it, clean the traces, and put a new one on (time to go to Vetco). I'm going to replace that connector with something cleaner and newer.. Flexing either cable around thusly moving the connector causes the image to become clear and sometimes full color for a second or two, also, the cables feel loose into the back. Could also be a grounding issue too because I see some brown corrosion around where the screws attach the input board to it's sub-chassis.

Got the service manual from here, if's for UK Spec, but it works for mine to help with testing and disassembly, also works as the owners manual as well. - http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Computer/M ... onitor.pdf

I'm still shocked, it even has the original cable, and the 9-pin to 15-pin converter so it pretty much works with every PC in my house up to 640X480 res (actually 800X560 according to the service manual). Plus now my Tandy has a monitor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of those -- it's got a turquoise hue and is a bit on the fuzzy side.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

The Multisync II is a good one. Another dream-monitor of that era is the Multisync 3D. I own the original first NEC Multisync (I), also a very good monitor which eats NTSC/PAL-RGB (15kHz 50/60 Hz interlaced), CGA, EGA and VGA up to 800x600 @ 60 Hz, so I can use it with ATARI ST, Amiga, XT, AT and up to 486-Systems with 1-2 MB VGA card. The difference between the Multisync (I) and II, 3D is that the first one has a lot of switches to configure it for different video signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have one of those -- it's got a turquoise hue and is a bit on the fuzzy side.
    Mines main issue is flexing the connecter in back causes certain colors to go in and out, and throws the sync off. If I resolder it's a green hue. The fix will be replacing that connector as holding the jack still in the exact right spot gives a very crisp, clean, color picture with slight tint. I've got the service manual so I can tweak anything still off after the traces are cleaned (slight corrosion/rust in that one spot, the insides are otherwise very clean.

I've decided due to such rarity I'm never going to dump another CRT and learn to fix these things. After diving into an old TV I had to diagnose, and teaching myself proper discharging from the picture tube and whatnot and getting familiar I'm learning more and more. Might soon be time to soon invest in a good oscilloscope.

I have a similar monitor, the 'NEC Multisync 2A'. I think this model was the predecessor to the 'NEC Multisync 3D'.
    Mine worked okay the last time I tested it....brightness is a little dim though. I did open it up when I got it about five
    years ago just to clean some of the dust out but didn't try tweaking any of the adjustments.

Found some online references to this monitor and I think the model number is : JC-1403HMA
    Appears to support : 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 / 56 Hz

How sharp is the picture when its working? Mine is getting a bit fuzzy, even after adjusting the focus control on the fly back. I suspect mine will eventually need a replacement fly back.

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    How sharp is the picture when its working? Mine is getting a bit fuzzy, even after adjusting the focus control on the fly back. I suspect mine will eventually need a replacement fly back.
    Mine's pretty sharp, the only problems I have are related to coloring due to PCB/connector age. I plan to swing by Vetco today and see if I can scrounge up a 9-pin female right-angle connector and do some fixing/cleaning of the main I/O PCB and then solder it in and have a properly functioning palette on it without having to hold the cable in place.

One thing I can't wait to try this on is the Tandy 1000 - then I can get that out from under the TV and up and on the desk for a part of the year. Will be nice to boot without pressing F12 to make sure I get color.

I actually used to have the first version of this monitor but I got rid of it a long long time ago. I kind of miss the first one I had, but this one is in waaaay better shape than that one was.

92 watts? wow, we've come quite a way!

Quote Originally Posted by MindThreat View Post
    92 watts? wow, we've come quite a way!
    ?????
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Update, fixed the buggy DB-9 issue in back. Turns out that the traces were peeling off the PCB from corrosion, so I sanded off the corrosion (and unfortunately some of the traces), and Point-to-Point wired the new connector in. Now it works. Have found the current oddities on the 486 - could be the VLB video card spitting out weird modes or being inconsistent, or it could be I have one wire wrong......but I'll figure it out. Probably just a wire to one of the sync protocols, either rhtat or this thing is only semi VGA compatible, which is fine with me since it's actually going to be used on a Tandy 1000A in regular 9-pin CGA mode.

Under 486 (w/ 2MB S3 805 Video Card)
    - 80x25 Column Text Mode works
    - POST Screen (has EnergyStar logo) flips out
    - Dazzle screensaver works for awhile then goes off sync
    - Seems to not like 320X200 @256 Colors for some odd reason
    - Whatever CGA mode Ultima II uses works fine
    - 800x600 no go, 640x480, have not tried, not really too interested tbh due to purpose of this display
    Attached Images Attached Images