Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PC Speaker (Square Wave) Sound Effects

Well, okay, in my experience anyway (but I only ever tried it on one system with a piezo beeper, so take that with a grain of salt.)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by neilobremski View Post
    Thank you Krille for the Magic Duck stuff. Could you tell me offhand how fast the frame rate is when you run aSoundPlay?
    I have no idea, I haven't tried it. TBH, I haven't even tried MagiDuck yet. Though I imagine the difference should at least be measurable since this routine runs once every frame.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Quote Originally Posted by neilobremski View Post
    Thank you Krille for the Magic Duck stuff. Could you tell me offhand how fast the frame rate is when you run aSoundPlay?
    It's called at 24 frames per second. If a frame render takes longer than 24hz the sounds slow down with the framerate, which I suppose works well for sound effects but would not for music.

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    I have two 8088 clones with piezos on them, I could do some recordings.
    I'd be curious to hear this!

Blog Entries

My 6300 had a piezo; it sounded very thin and tinny and quiet, but was otherwise identical to a regular speaker -- all tricks worked, all sampled sound output methods worked. You just had to put your ear to the machine to hear it sometimes.

I later broke the speaker off of the system and connected two wires to the pads which I then wired to a 3.5" jack that went to my boom box.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123