Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharp PC-7000 - almost a dissapointment

Ah! Gonna have to be more thorough on my next teardown, then. Serial I/O is still acting up on mine and i fired mine up to find it thought the time/date was... 99:99:40 on Saturday January 99th, 2107.

Hebron, Boone Township, Porter County, Indiana, USA

I had one of these two years ago. I picked it up on craigslist for free on a whim and when i got it home and found it doesnt have a hard drive, i put it back up on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by flashedbios2012 View Post
    I had one of these two years ago. I picked it up on craigslist for free on a whim and when i got it home and found it doesnt have a hard drive, i put it back up on CL.
    I prefer the one with no HDD, since original ones are usually toast, and I can alwayw expand my storage with 100MB Zip drive, which is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by flashedbios2012 View Post
    That's pretty much a given on almost any computer from 1985, let alone one as tiny as the PC-7000.

Mine has a Sharp-branded expansion base that gives it a 20MB drive. Interesting little thing, it attaches to the port on the bottom.

I had a PC-7000A for a while - in fact right up until I attempted to clean off the spots of mould behind the glass of the screen. I somehow managed to separate the LCD from its side contacts and once that happened there was no way back: the connectors are microscopic and impossible to repair.

It's the only vintage computer I've managed to destroy and it still annoys me. I wasn't the first to make this mistake, but hopefully I'll be the last. So if your PC-7000's screen isn't completely clean, just live with it!

good to know, the problems with my pc7k are likely to be repaired by a full teardown. Thanks for the disk!
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Attempted a complete teardown on mine, no dice. ruled out everything but 5v thus far, didn't tear apart the PSU because the caps made me nervous. is there a pot or anything built in for adjustments?