Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Testimonies of using BASIC back in the day

In Pick, "Data BASIC" was/is the core programming language. Very popular for ERP and accounting systems back in the day and still hanging on today - my work in Pick pays my mortgage.

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    However, in Windows, Visual Basic was a very popular option, and quite a few well known programs were developed in VB.
    A lot of companies also used Visual Basic for Applications as an advanced scripting language for adding functionality to their Office documents and such. You'd be surprised how advanced and mission-critical some of that stuff was/is.
    It is kind of shocking how much you can do with a spreadsheet and Visual Basic for Applications. I think quite a few companies made use of that software to get around hiring external programmers.

Anybody use Visual Basic for DOS?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I don't remember anyone using Visual Basic for DOS. Most of the VB code I was familiar with was business front ends to databases which were very difficult to build with VB-Dos because of DOS's memory limits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geneb View Post
    In Pick, "Data BASIC" was/is the core programming language. Very popular for ERP and accounting systems back in the day and still hanging on today - my work in Pick pays my mortgage. g.
    The Microdata Reality-based Pick system was very popular in the insurance industry back in the day. I tend to think of the PICK system more as a file system which used a dialect of BASIC to access it--ISTR that very early versions used something that resembled PL/I more than anything.

I use D3 Pick, which is a direct descendant of Pick AP/R84, etc. Rocket Software now owns the product and they produce a number of MV db products - UniVerse, mvBase, mvEnterprise. Northgate Information Systems still sells Reality - it runs under Linux (and likely Windows) now.

Pick was NoSQL before it was cool. (hell, Pick was NoSQL *before* SQL! )

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123