My first language in college was FORTRAN using punch card decks in batch mode. Junior year (1972) I passed a room full of teletypes in the ME building. They were open for use, no login or account required. It turned out to be a BASIC time sharing system running on a PDP-8. After that I spent a lot of time there including some skipped economics classes. The only way to save and reload programs was the paper tape punch/reader on the teletypes. One of the programs (not written by me) would punch text onto paper tape. I had tried something similar with asterisk graphics in FORTRAN but the system operators didn't give me the printout and wrote NO! on my deck. That's one reason I appreciated the Basic system, the other being it was interactive and not batch mode.

In 1977 I worked on an automated test system for a guided missile. It used a lot of HP test equipment connected by HPIB to an HP minicomputer. The test code was Basic. I represented the missile electronics not the test system but I did have to read the code for individual test steps.

After that I used Basic on various microcomputers at home and a tiny bit at work. Most of my professional coding was in assembly language and C.