Image Map Image Map

Thread: Ink Jet woes

Default Ink Jet woes

To be brief: I am trying to resurrect a Canon BJC-80 printer that has sat unused for more than 10 years. I have two BW ink carts and two print heads, one pair was stored in the air-tight container and the other was NOS OEM. Neither work, not surprisingly: soaked the head in isopropyl overnight, tried Windex, warm water rinse, nada.

One cart, the one that was stored, still has fluid ink; I put a dab on my finger and let it dry, then tried to find a solvent that would remove it. In addition to the previously mentioned solvents, acetone, MEK, naptha, brush cleaner, turpentine etc. all have failed to remove the stain.

Out of ideas: Anyone got a suggestion as to what might work?

Thanks,
    -CH-

Blog Entries

Yikes! The only thing I've run into that MEK won't remove is dried Herculiner. Try not to get any of that ink on your hootus.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Did you try brakekleen?
    I don't think it would do much better than what you've tried
    but it is always on my list of things to try.
    Also try orange oil hand cleaner.
    Dwight

Great thought: orange oil! That stuff will remove anything. I was in a factory once where they press the oil and the paint was literally peeling off the machines.

I'm starting to think the printer itself is toast, however. I'll have to move it to another machine to know for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    To be brief: I am trying to resurrect a Canon BJC-80 printer that has sat unused for more than 10 years. I have two BW ink carts and two print heads, one pair was stored in the air-tight container and the other was NOS OEM. Neither work, not surprisingly: soaked the head in isopropyl overnight, tried Windex, warm water rinse, nada.

One cart, the one that was stored, still has fluid ink; I put a dab on my finger and let it dry, then tried to find a solvent that would remove it. In addition to the previously mentioned solvents, acetone, MEK, naptha, brush cleaner, turpentine etc. all have failed to remove the stain.

Out of ideas: Anyone got a suggestion as to what might work?

Thanks,
    -CH-
    A quick Google shows that a new cart can be had for under $3.

http://www.comboink.com/Canon-BJC-80...z5oaAqOC8P8HAQ

Does the head go through the motions like it's actually printing? If not, it's certainly not a clogging issue.

You could also try cleaning the head contacts. An eraser works like it does on an ISA or PCI, etc, card.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Both good suggestions. Yes, the head moves, paper feeds, the printer was recognized by Win98 the first time it was attached, and every boot is accompanied by printer activity. I had to download the early-era printer driver from Canon - good on them for offering it - because Win98SE didn't include that model among its drivers.

Sending a test page print takes excruciatingly long and there are certain functions that are supposed to be operable from the front panel that are not present. That's what has me apprehensive; if I can't see a bulging cap or other obvious fault this may be sayonara. Too bad because I have the scanner head for the thing and have never used it.

But the main problem is that of the dozen or so sheets I have fed through the thing none has so much as a smudge on it.

-CH-