Image Map Image Map

Thread: Quick question about Atari XL 5.25in floppy disks?

Default Quick question about Atari XL 5.25in floppy disks?

Hi everyone, I obtained a box of about 150 floppy disks and some 30 of them appear to be for maybe an Atari.

They are single sided and only have the one write protect notch, but each label has an A) and B) volume, and some notes on the disk jackets read:

"Needs Option Button" and/or "Needs Translator"

Are these likely disks for an Atari 8-bit system or do they sound like they are from some other system?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Blog Entries

Yes, those are for an Atari 8-bit.

Option Button disks are bootable disks.

Needs translator are likely to be disks intended for the 400/800 line and the translator does whatever the XL needs to load the older disks.

Thanks for your speedy reply. Much appreciated.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

4. Default

I was browsing through Jens website and came across his retro area, which featured the sale of 5.25" floppy disks. Anyone still use those??

I use them everyday. some have began to fail, but surprisingly the majority still function fine.