Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test RAM for errors on a 386

Question Test RAM for errors on a 386

I'm testing a lot of 30-pin SIMMs for errors using Memtest-86 v3.4. It's the only software that I'm aware of that works on this platform and as far as I can tell it does its job fine, but I'm not sure. I haven't found a single failed module yet. The only bad thing is that it takes a lot of time. For 4x1MB=4MB it takes around an hour to complete the test. For 4x4MB=16MB it takes 3 hours+.

Do you know any alternative software to test the RAM on a 386?

For the record, using this software you need more than 1 MB, otherwise, Memtest-86 v3.4 doesn't boot.
    You can find a bootable floppy with Memtest-86 v3.4 here All in one boot floppy.

You could try CheckIt v3.0 or CheckIt Pro.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I think Memtest is about the gold standard for memory testing; it might be slow but it does a correct job.

And just to be on the safe side, make sure any caches are disabled. My 386-40 has an L2 cache and that would ruin the test if the software didn't disable it.

I found GoldMem to be the most effective RAM tester for 386 to Pentium based systems.

how about a recommendation for a really really good ram test utility for MSDOS 3 16bit XT hardware?
    I'm using Checkit3 but thats not super thorough.

What 16-bit XT hardware?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What 16-bit XT hardware?
    yeah... oops. long day. scratch that 16 bit part. just plain old 80C88.

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    I'm using Checkit3 but thats not super thorough.
    What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Well, I had a bad DRAM chip which Checkit3 failed to find. System was very unstable, swapped a bank of chips and its good now.

I was hoping that something as good as Memtest86 was available for DOS and pre-386.

Try Ramtest by Brown Bag Software:

https://ftp.sunet.se/mirror/archive/...msdos/memutil/

It's ramtst30.zip

You could also try the one just above it, ramtest.zip. I've got and used both of them.